Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with OOP

Options
  • 23-06-2023 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in a bit of bother with work at the minute and need help. I've moved into a new position where I'm writing code that is heavily OOP. I'm lost to figure out how to get it working and it's embarrassing having to go back and ask for help as I don't want to lose the role during to being rubbish.

For example, at the minute I'm trying to make a small update to a procedure where I've got to access some state and use it to drive a check on a string. Sounds very simple - probably is too. My problem is that I can't figure out how to get the state I need into the place I need it. The design calls for dynamic dispatching but I can't see how I can get access to this state without screwing up interfaces for other calls.

I've not done OO in about 20yrs although I've done programming and software in other guises in that time.

Is there anything that can help me get up to speed quickly with OO as I'm struggling to deal with the stress of it all at the minute. I know that in the medium to long term I'm more than capable of doing the work - I'm just really struggling to get up to speed and I've noone to lean on for help. For reasons beyond the scope of this post I can't go and ask the team for help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Language?

Have you set up a debugger?

Most allow updating of in-play variables.

Setting up a unit or integration test might also help generate the scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ada. I can't find an active online help forum. Stack overflow is not a hospitable place and not very active either.

Yes got a debugger setup, but there are object accesses and class accesses bring passed about and I can't figure out what is what.

Advertisement