Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anybody ever visited Aying, near Munich?

Options
  • 23-06-2023 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭

I may be in Munich in July, and I may have a few hours to kill.

I would like to travel somewhere outside the city, but not too far.

Franconian breweries/brewpubs are too far away.

I am aware of the Andechs monastery, and I was half thinking of going there. That involves an S-bahn suburban train to the end of the line, then a nice walk through woods, up the hill, to the monastery. I know it is a popular weekend destination.

However, somebody mentioned the Ayinger brewery in Aying, also on an S-bahn line. There is a village, the brewery, and a brewpub.

I see that walk-in tours of the brewery are not possible, which is fine by me.

As is often the case, the pub is mentioned on the DE language version of their website, but not on the English version.

Has anybody been to this village, or the beergarden?

It looks fairly good to me, I think I will go.

If it doesn't work out, at least the station isn't far away, and there are two trains per hour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭interlocked

I'm heading to Munich next month. How far of a train ride is this? And more important, do the trains have jacks?

Otherwise, looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

40 mins from main station on the S7.

Toilets? Not mentioned here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBAG_Class_423

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭interlocked

Hmmm. A 40 minute journey after a load of steins, could be problematic.....

Ok, it's 30 mins on the S7 to the large Ost bahnhof, I'm sure you could manage 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't call them steins in Germany, no one will know what you are talking about!

It seems to be an anglophone thing to call large tankards of beer steins.

Germans don't use the word to describe glassware. Also the world stein described those earthenware, ornamental beer mugs, originally.

• Advertisement

Yes, I was going to mention that.

Stein means stone.

A steinkrug is an earthenware/ceramic jug, with a 0.5 or 1 litre capacity, like this:

The photos of the Ayinger pub show masskrug, where mass or

refers to a measure:

Anyways, I may be there around 26-July, I will try to remember to report back.

Advertisement