Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming a beech hedge with a loppers

Options
  • 23-06-2023 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I'm taking about 1.5m off the top of a beech hedge, about 100m long.

I got a new bypass lopper (True Temper 42mm) on Thursday morning, and by Friday its already showing its age. (2 adults working diligently until exhausted!) I use a saw for the bigger cuts.

What's the best brand, did I buy a cheapie?

Are they suitable for resharpening?

I suspect if I tackled it in winter the branches would snap easier, but the student helper is available now.

Thanks for reading, double thanks for responding :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

TT is about mid range, I have a few things and they are fine, not amazing but ok. I think I have a TT shears but off hand without going and looking I can't remember which one it is but I think its ok.

I reckon if you buy cheaper tools for a specific job and they just about do the job I work on the principle that it got the job done for that cost (plus some sweat) and bound to be cheaper than employing someone.

I was given a japanese pruning saw a four or five years ago as a gift, one of the 80 - 90€ ones and while it was fabulously sharp for a good while its no better than average at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i use fiskars loppers, they have remained good after years of use. i do sharpen them very occasionally - maybe once a year.

i think they were €55 about six years ago - i've since seen fiskars stuff on sale in lidl, not sure if that could be a sign of them reducing quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you're having to strain or wrangle the loppers to cut a branch it won't be good for it. Anything over 30mm thick I'd prefer to saw. An extendable loppers would place less strain on it and you.

Ps. Fair play to you for taking it on with hand tools!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I did the same on a beech hedge and bought a cheap battery chainsaw ( 4" blade) on Amazon.de and it is a gamechanger.

Something like this one.

Battery Chainsaw, 4 Inch Mini Chainsaw with Battery, One-Handed Electric Chainsaw, Hand Chainsaw for Gardens, Suitable for Trees, Branch Forests, 2 x 2000 mAh Batteries : Amazon.de:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Lidl's loppers are surprisingly good. The anvil type probably the best for the OP's type of work.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

One important thing to know about loppers: you must use them with absolutely no twisting.

The cut needs to be straight down through the branch. If once you twist them, it throws the alignment off true and they will get progressively more twisted, weaker, and blunter, too, because it is not making an accurate cut.

That said, you can sharpen the blade, quite easily - just identify the cutting edge and sharpen it carefully with a kitchen steel - I've often done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Thanks people. I have a small chainsaw, but working at height, fatigue and chainsaw use are a dodgy triangle. I'm more than half way now.

Boards and youtube win again!

My buddies bee hives will curtail the final section until a foggy winters day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I can't advise on the lopper but

Do you mind sharing how you managed to get the 'student helper' going? I've two of those units myself but can't seem to get them into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭standardg60

Economic or alcoholic reward seems to be the only reliable motivator

• Advertisement
Advertisement