Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about moving abroad

Options
  • 23-06-2023 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Any suggestions?

It pains me to leave but it's just becoming unlivable.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

Many variables in your question. Are you single or would you be bringing a wife/partner? Would you prefer a native English speaking country where you could acclimatise easily or somewhere where you would have to learn another language and be out of your comfort zone? Is making/saving a lot of money important or are you just looking for a better quality of life than Ireland?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on what you do ? What you want ? Any kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

I have no kids or wife so I am free in a way. I think as I am closing in on 40 it's harder to move at this age cos it's a new start and at 40 normally most are settled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Hannaho

I have moved to the UK in my 50s. Much cheaper cost of living. My one bed apartment is 500stg per month. I am on a lesser salary that home but coming out with a good bit more because of lower income tax rates. The sterling euro exhcange rate means that I cannot put the extra conversion to euro money into savings. I find the UK workplace, as I did many years ago when I worked here, far more professional and far less bullying. Where I am in the UK - people are very friendly and helpful and I am fitting in well. I have started to save 1k per month, and I am still enjoying life, travel, eating out etc. My prescriptions are free. The NHS gets a bad press, but apart from having to wait 30 minutes on the phone to get an appointment with a GP, I have no issues with it. Because I am over 50 two weeks after I signed up with a GP, I was automatically sent for screening for various issues. My dental treatment was much cheaper. Though I hadn't worked here in over 20 years, I was still entitled to a free eye test. My glasses were about 100 pounds chepaer. My dentist at home told me I need about 3.5k worth of work the dentist here charged me 40 pounds and told me I had really good teeth for my age and didn't need any work, and couldn't understand why my dentist at home was recommending all this work. I explained that it's a totally private system for dentistry at home, and they make money by suggesting work.

Advertisement