Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding - what to wear

Options
  • 23-06-2023 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Value your opinion on this. Have a niece getting married in July. Haven't been to a wedding in years & not worn a suit in ages. Is it suit & tie nowdays for a family wedding or a smart jacket, nice shirt & chinos. I'm leaning towards the latter but not sure what's worn these days.

Any help appreciated,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Was at a friends wedding this week, i had a chinoey type of trouser in navy, blue shirt and a different type of navy jacket, no tie. Bought it all in a menswear store local seperatly and i can get use out of tge trouser and shirt without the jacket a good bit of the time.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Trondheim

The main thing to consider is how important it is to you to be dressed similar to others.

A few years ago, i got an invite to a wedding that specifically encouraged people to dress in whatever they felt most comfortable. I took that as a signal that the full suit would be a bit too stuffy, so i went with sports jacket, chinos and shirt. Then i arrived, and EVERY man there was in a suit. There was an initial feeling that i was a bit out of place, but after a while i just forgot about it and got on with enjoying the day and night.

If you go for less formal than a suit, be prepared that most people will probably wear a suit and tie. If you are fine with that, then all good. If that will bother you, it is probably better to get a suit. If you have brothers going to the wedding, you could also ask what they are planning to wear. As they will be your peers there, as long as you are dressed at a similar level to them, you will probably be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ask the bride how she would like people to dress. If she has a preference, then of course you should follow it. If she says "wear what you like", then wear what you like. Nobody else will care greatly what you wear.

Advertisement