Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Teacher Myth debunked?

Options
  • 23-06-2023 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Okay so, I officially finished college this week, meaning I got my grades. (2.1 HOns in BEd). In technicality, I've been finished since March; once the final placement finishes, we're the world's problem. Since Easter, I've been subbing in a school as an SET. Every Summer since COVID, I've also done 1-2 months subbing, so I'd say my peer group has more experience than most new graduates would've had pre-COVID.

We were allowed to start applying for jobs from March onward (the panel didn't clear until June though, so no jobs were available), and we could put 'pending' on our results to fill out the application requirement.

Fast forward to today.

I've finished college.

Myself and my other 16 male colleagues were told the whole time (3-4 years), that schools would roll out the red carpets for male teachers, and that we would be snatched up as we walked out of college.

4 lads have been hired.

40+ girls have been hired, with 2 being made permanent (???) on their first year out.

Getting shortlisted for interviews is still quite impressive, I think, and I do accredit it to doing an extra mini-seminar on how to flesh out an application form.

I've heard of 'school loyalty' and how most schools who've had a sub for a few months usually just keep that teacher. My school did not do that. The school has lost 3 male teachers, and gained 4 female, random teachers unknown to the students or staff. This has caused some infighting around me, as some teachers had expected me to get a job - I'm keeping quiet though; I refuse to cause trouble in school, but I digress...

there are colleagues of mine from college, some convicted (no record) of doing cocaine, some openly admitting about hating teaching but loving the holidays, and others admitting to just 'not teaching Gaeilge unless they're being inspected' who are getting offered 3-4 jobs! Turns out they're paying upwards of €150 for interview grinds???

I'm also hearing horror stories of female principals 'not wanting' to hire male staff? are we going backwards?

The first 3 of my 11 interviews, I was told I just didn't interview well, I was still too green, etc. Which, yknow, is fully fair. I respect that. I paid €50. did a mini interview prep seminar, and went on to do another 8 interviews.

For at least 5 of these, I was told I lost out to someone more experienced.

the other 3 just didn't give a reason.

I'm currently sitting in limbo. the lads are all out buying supplies for the classrooms. I'm heartbroken; teaching is all I've ever wanted to do, and I'm not being given that chance... what do I do??? Applied to 20+ schools, have done 11 interviews, but my turnover is 0.

I try to be professional, it's too robotic.

I try to be myself, it's too unprofessional.

Interviews do not show what a teacher can do.

Is there any hope for new NQTs? How does one get experience without being given the chance of getting it? I refuse to let my dream of teaching die, but it seems like the embers are being perpetually pissed on.

Any advice from teachers? Any advice from the public?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm of an age where we queued outside the INTO office for even a single day's work. Applications for jobs were in the hundreds. I sent out hundreds of CVs as well as calling round to schools throughout the county to let principals know I was available for work .. You say you have only done 20 applications and it's not even June now. You got 11 interviews, I think that's very hopeful. You may need to do further prep for your interviews. Some "prep" webinars are done by Insta people who haven't been teaching for more than a few years.

I'm appalled that any college would push the exceptionally antiquated view that being male opens doors, simply by virtue of biology. And being honest, you come across as somewhat entitled in that regard. Most schools will employ the best fit for their school these days. The days of a GAA player strolling into a job of his choice are thankfully well over. it really doesn't matter how many jobs the "girls" got, your NQT colleagues are getting jobs,so it's not correct to assert that it's an NQT issue.

Have you a good CV?What additional skills can you bring to a school? Have you done relevant voluntary work? How is your standard of Irish? Your username makes me think you are in Dublin, have you applied for jobs outside Dublin or limited yourself by geography? At one stage, I was taking a job on a remote Donegal island with only a bike for transport. it would have taken me 14 hours to get to the school from home, between trains, buses and boats.

I wish you the best of luck, as you seem to be very enthusiastic about teaching as a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MuinteoirNuaBAC

Let me start off by saying I get what you mean by the entitlement! And I don't mean to come across that way! I'm ore outraged that little 17 year old me was led to believe this way by the college and my expectations got reality checked. I don't care about what gender gets hired, as long as they're the best fit for the kiddos; that's all I want for them. so apologies on that ground.

Of all the 11 interviews I got, they were all heavily impressed with my CV and said as much - although most schools now take SAF (standard app. forms) rather than CVs so there's little in the way of actually showing those facets of your life there.

I am Dublin, a learner driver waiting for my test. So I am limiting myself to Dublin, city centre and north Dublin. trust me, I'd love nothing more than to work on the islands or in a small county school. I am restricted to the Pale at this moment in time, however.

And thank you for your feedback and input; I'm genuinely so grateful, and will take on board what you've said

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It seems obvious that the ones who are paying for the interview prep are the ones impressing the interviewers. Your CV is impressing them to get you in the door for an interview. So all you need to do is brush up on your interview technique. €150 might seem like a lot of money, but if it gives you a better shot at interviews then it is a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MuinteoirNuaBAC

I’ll be booking it this week. May as well bite the bullet and just be ready yknow? Cheers! Appreciate the comment mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

If you haven't forked out for help yet drop me a pm and I'll help you for free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement