Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare totals wrong

Options
  • 22-06-2023 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey,

I was on Illness Benefit for a portion of last year, tax credits were reduced as a result of this. Earlier this year I did my end of year statement and got a small refund after submitting expenses. We where in the process of availing for the Help to Buy and during this Revenue advised me Welfare had updated my figures for 2022 (in April) and the new figures where higher than the previous figures resulting in me owing a few hundred Euro to Revenue.

I paid this as the Help to Buy couldn't progress if there was any money owed. I got a statement of payments for last year from My Welfare, this showed the previous amount Revenue had on file for me, and matches up with what I was actually paid. The new amount Revenue has is my Illness Benefit for the whole year, which I didn't receive for the whole of the year.

Can anyone advise how I can sort this out or why Welfare would have given Revenue an updated wrong figure 4 months into the year? Is there a central Welfare section I need to contact or do I need to try get down to the local office?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,961 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Unfortunately, Welfare are very slow in updating Revenue on any Benefits a person was on & Revenue have to wait & don't/Can't request information from Welfare.

Ironically it's the reverse when it comes to taxable income . This iinfo available to Welfare every month & its how DSP can cross reference to see if a Claimant is Earning whilst in receipt of a SW payment.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheRunner21

I can’t remember the exact amounts but I was on two schemes for different periods last year. Illness Benefit and JSB. Welfare have reported that I was in receipt of Illness Benefit for 52 weeks and also JSB for 6 weeks, making a 58 week year.

The figure Revenue had when I did my tax return was correct. I can’t understand why Welfare went and changed it in April to the equivalent of 58 weekly payments.

It would be impossible to be in receipt of illness benefit & JSB at the same time and there's only 52 weeks in a year, Clearly the 6 weeks JSB from a different year 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheRunner21

Sorry I wasn’t in receipt of either for the full year. I was on Illness Benefit for about 6 months and JSB for about 6 weeks but the figures reported to Revenue have my JSB correct but the Illness Benefit amount is my weekly amount multipled by 52.

I’m not sure how to correct this, and am a bit nervous of doing anything as we haven’t claimed the Help To Buy yet and I don’t want to cause any problems with that.

I can't say why they over stated payments by 6 weeks 🤔 if you've access to your mywelfare account you can see a full breakdown of payments you've recieved. It's rare but DSP may be wrong. You could cross reference your bank account

• Advertisement
Advertisement