Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike quandary for the larger cyclist looking to transport a toddler

Options
  • 20-06-2023 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is a bit long winded. I plan on bringing my child (around 1yr old) to creche by bike.

I currently have a trek 7.2 for many years that's served me well but showing it's age and I'm looking to get an ebike as a substitute for a second family car. I've been looking at getting an electric cargo bike or else a standard hybrid ebike with a trailer attachment.

The primary issue I'm having looking at bikes is that I'm in around 145-150kg. Most ebikes I see mention a rider weight capacity around 115-135kg. I'm sure my trek 7.2 isn't officially supporting my weight either but I'm a bit more conscious of the specs if I'm potentially spending a lot of money on a bike I don't want to damage it.

So I guess I've two questions. Would I be better looking at an electric hybrid and buying a trailer or should I get a full on electric cargo bike? Either option I'd love some recommendations from cyclists on bikes for the ahem "bulkier" cyclist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

An electric cargo bike is great for transporting a toddler, but a cargo bike is big, so hard to store, and very expensive.

If you can live with both of those things, I recommend it over a regular ebike and trailer!

I got mine in Feb this year, and it has been a complete game changer for me. It's made us being a single car family much easier.

The Bullitt can carry rider plus cargo up to 180Kg if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Thanks, luckily I have a garage that once I get my act together and tidy I definitely could store it. Which model of bullitt did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I’ve got the Bullitt EP8.

A garage is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

If you've a garage, then I'd say a cargo bike would be the ideal choice especially if looking to replace a car. I'd have had one myself when the kids were smaller but I live in a terraced house so storage would be a nightmare.

Another option if might be a Tern GSD https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/472/gsd. Smaller and lighter (all relative) that the full box-on-front cargo bike, but they get very good reviews. Yuba https://yubabikes.eu/product-category/bikes/ are very popular in France

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

decathlon do a cargo bike now too, similar to the tern, but it's a hub motor IIRC; hub motors are not as good as mid drive, and on a bike as heavy as that i wonder what the reliability would be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Thanks all. Bullitt looks really good. Also looking at maybe an urban arrow.

Advertisement