Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Width Tyres?

Options
  • 20-06-2023 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭

My bike came with 2.6" tyres (Maxxis Forekaster/Rekon), I noticed most of the bikes I was looking at come with 2.4". These tyres seem like overkill and probably too aggressive for hardpack trails like Ticknock/Ballinastoe.

I was thinking of putting a fast rolling 2.4" on the rear and a 2.4" Rekon on the front as it's still fairly chunky but slightly lighter than the Forekaster.

I used to run 2.35/2.1" on my old bike so I'm wondering if I should even drop to a 2.25" on the rear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 crossmax1970

What size wheels are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Those are quite wide rims, so i guess you have some sort of enduro hardtail?

2.25's i'd only put on a lighter XC type hardtail..

What's more important is thread pattern.. fast/slow rolling.. also tyre compound, tacky/soft, harder compound...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

2.5 front and 2.4 rear is the most common tyre size on full suspension. Hardtails sometimes have bigger tyres to help with bump absorption. Those tyres you have are fast rolling anyway. What's more important to you, more grip or lighter bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ram82

Agree with Tenzor07,

I got my trail bike 2nd hand and it came with 2.6 DHF in the front and 2.6 Assegai in the back. 30mm rims.

About 2 months ago I changed the tyres to 2.5 Assegai WT Exo MaxTerra in the front and 2.4 DHR2 WT Exo+ MaxTerra in the back and I much prefer that combo. It made the bike more responsive in handling, front got better grip and rear better rolling with still plenty of grip.

I go to Ticknock, Ballinastoe, GAP most of the time and don't find my combo to be an overkill or feeling draggy.

I don't think that the width on it's own would do much of a difference in my case. It's the rolling resistance and thread/compound type that I would be looking at if I was you if you feel you need to change.

I wouldn't change your tyres only for the width. Also narrow tyres on wide rims will affect handling.

I saw a comment somewhere that you should also consider the bike size, it's weight and your weight. It suggested that if your overall package is on the bigger/heavier side you should stick to wider tyres. I guess there is some logic in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement