Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proofing question

Options
  • 20-06-2023 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hi,

One of my rifles (Schmeisser SP-15) has an upgrade available from the manufacturer. It's the bolt carrier in the bolt carrier group (so is pressure bearing). If I wanted to get this, does this make my rifle "unproofed"?

The manufacturer offer the kit it in the UK only at the moment where the proofing laws are different, but they say that in Germany (manufacturer country) upgrading the bolt carrier would require reproofing the rifle as a whole and serial numbers for the part etc.

What's the state of play in Ireland? Are we more aligned with mainland EU? Or the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

My first thought is ouch, this is going to be expensive.

AFAIK we have no "Irish Proof House" so you would have to send the firearm elsewhere to be re-proofed.

Others here no doubt will know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Must be reproofed. As UK not in EU anymore MAJOR problems going this route. Better off going the Germany route using Article 7 authority. 2019 EU firearms update makes it compulsory to serial number parts now

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭alanmc

Yeah, thought as much lads. The upgrade isn't worth it in that case. If I could get it proofed here I might consider it, but hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cost about 250 euros for a one way trip for a firearm to Germany ,if you can get a courier company from Ireland to do this.Be cheaper to book a flight ,get your EU firearms passport, hop over to Germany, and deliver the gun to Schmeisser in person. Unless they can book you into Ulm, Suhl, or Munich to get this reproofed,you are looking at about a 12/18-month queue for ANY proof house work. Don't forget the proof house fee too, another 150/200 euro fee as well.

Better off going the Germany route using Article 7 authority. 2019 EU firearms update makes it compulsory to serial number parts now

Slightly different, you the owner, a gunsmith, the maker or anyone can add the serial numbers to the gun parts as that's only an ID number, which of course, will instantly solve all gun crime... A Proof mark is utterly different. That is an actual official Govt stamp of a Govt dept that has tested this firearm and is saying it's good to shoot by a qualified professional who fired a proof load thru it. IOW your Govt is saying that this is a safe firearm. And this is why the Irish Govt doesn't want to talk or know about this either. As ;

They cant foist this off to a public-private partnership. As it needs an official Govt body to take responsibility for this to issue the proof marks.

The Irish Govt knows that Health & safety legislation will come and bite them one day on this issue. Why d'ya think they are suddenly getting concerned about gunsmiths as per the FEC recommendations?

AGS/DOJ would never stand for it either, as the proof master would have an official qualification that would utterly negate their experts on firearms week courses in some colleges or old boys courses in the UK or Scotland. So their expertise would have to play 2nd fiddle to him/her on all firearms matters.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I thought only the barrels are proofed.

The whole assembly can also be proofed, but just the barrel is the norm I thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Really has to be the whole gun,as as it is integral to the barrels /IE the breech of a DBBL the bolt of a rifle and the frame etc. Oddly tho the AR designs could get away with just having their uppers tested, as the lower in that design has zero pressure to bear and is just basically a trigger mechanism and recoil spring tube holder.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement