Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merida speeder

Options
  • 20-06-2023 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a Merida speeder 100 or 300.

Just wondering dies anyone have any experience with them, firstly are they a good bike and secondly is it worth paying the extra for the 300

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what difference in price are you seeing?

looking at the specs - frame and fork are the same; you'll be paying for better components on the more expensive one, but the difference will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. the more expensive one will probably be a little bit lighter, looks like 10.5kg vs 10kg for the pricier one.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Meridas a generally a good quality platform.

If its a first bike, I’d probably opt for the cheaper option.

After riding for a while, you might fancy a switch to a racer or you might find you want a front suspension. Or you might love the hybrid and want to keep it or upgrade at that point.

Either way, the cheaper option will provide probably 90%+ of the functionality, at the lower price point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Roughly 250 in the difference, I don't know enough about bikes to know if it's worth the extra. I have no problem paying the extra, if it's worth it, but, if the difference is negligible then I'll go with the cheaper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Are you paying cash or getting it through the bike to work? If it’s bike to work I’d probably spend the extra, you get upgraded brakes with the 300, plus a much better group set in Tiagra vs Acera.

But if it’s cash up front and no tax savings, just go with the cheaper one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're on the upper tax bracket and spending less than the €1250 ceiling, that €300 gap becomes essentially €150.

Advertisement