Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Shop Boys 3Arena Monday 19th June

Options
  • 20-06-2023 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan and went with two relatives who didn't know the 3Arena drill too well - I was blown away by the Pet Shop Boys last night. Best indoor gig at the 3Arena I've ever been at - in fact probably the best indoor gig I've ever been at. Sonically and visually gripping from start to finish. It's hard to believe Neil Tennant is 68 and Chris Lowe hasn't aged one day since 1987.

Last night proved there are no sound issues in the 3Arena. It was packed to the rafters not a seat nor standing room in the house. Bad sound in there is a result of bad sound engineering. It was great to hear the new hybrid analog/digital synths in action - no instrument on the stage didn't get its own chance to shine during the night, they all sang out.

Not surprised this was on the Other Stage at Glastonbury on the Saturday night last year. If two (intentionally) immobile lads in their 60s can deliver a show of the standard last night, none of today's pretenders such as Styles/Swift should ever get a free pass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I thought they were excellent. You can't go wrong with a Greatest Hits Tour, in terms of the setlist, but it still needs to be delivered well, which this was.

The cheer that erupted when Neil took his mask off for Opportunities was incredible and was the first of many great moments where the audience really lifted it (the chorus of Domino Dancing and Go West being two).

As I remarked in the 2023 gigs thread, I've rarely heard a crowd so loud.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Really enjoyed it. But it wasn't a sell-out. There were ~100-150 empty seats up at the back of each corner at the upper level (we were near the centre of the upper level). So around 200-300 unsold altogether.

The additional musicians were great especially on backing vocals / live percussion.

Visuals very well done and sound was perfect.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I thought the sound was only OK and that the gig only got going at the end, seemed a bit subdued for a lot of it. There should have been much more standing. We were seated in the middle not far from sound desk so I didn't think there was any excuse for the sound. It was also roasting.

Sort of confirmed I don't really like the venue and hate it when seated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I initially had an absolutely rotten seat up behind one of the blocks of unsold ones - bought very late. Obviously the algo releases seats downwards from the back.

Once it was clear everyone had arrived, ushers came up and told us we could move wherever there were empty seats left.

In hindsight they could probably have had more standing but it would have looked even emptier then I guess

Need to keep the average age in mind here (I say that as someone well old enough to remember them the first time around!) so the large standing area was always unlikely.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I didn't see any empty seats in there last night and usually in there you'll see gaps in Blocks H and P near the walls. It was the most packed I've ever seen the 3Arena and I was actually surprised. If there were (naturally) some empty seats, they must have been small and random in number.

There were visible gaps in Blocks J, K, M and N, up the top. A few rows in each.

Right at the back, though. The kind of seats you'd turn down if you felt it wasn't worth it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Great gig, Neil Tennant is 69 next month and still has it in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

It will hard for Peter Gabriel next Sunday to beat last night. €175 for almost every seat, €337 for on the flat! Better be a great gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DJB030244

Was absolutely superb performance last night . We had standing and in about the 4th row right in the middle . Sound was excellent from our position . I had seen them in the 02 London also so knew what to expect . Very tight set full of hits , brilliant high energy feel about the concert. Visuals and stage design excellent .. they really keep you energised . Never seen so many happy faces .

Highlights for me - Surburbia, opportunities Vocal and Being Boring ..

Got home handy enough driving even with the football on .. ironically on Saturday had seen DM in Twickenham and it took over 2Hours to get into central London ..

• Advertisement

The first six rows were set aside for VIP packages, but you could get seats on the flat for €175. Still savage money. The last time he played (in 2014), you could get a standing ticket for €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Not defending the price but realistically it will be last show In ireland

That's obscene money for Peter Gabriel. No way I'd pay that to see anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Last night was certainly one for the ages.....

I've always loved their version of Where The Streets Have No Name and was not disappointed.

As another of the "I remember them the first time 'round" cohort I was a bit wary of being in the standing area - but the crowd were so sound and so up for the gig it was amazing.

In bits today though .....😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Brilliant concert.

Saw Depeche Mode last week , and was worried that with this concert my being seated , and PSB essentially standing still, unlike the high octane performance of DM , would detract from last night .

But no , it was energetic full on , greatest hits with fabulous staging and spot on soundwise.

We were in it from the start , dancing in our seats and when we could, everyone standing up , dancing and singing along , enjoying it ..excellent crowd .

Felt might be the last chance to see them as who knows when people hitting their late 60s , ( got a nasty shock with tge early death of Terry Hall of the Specials ) so glad we went even though I am not pushed with the 3 arena .

Just 2 hours with encore but very happy with what we got .

We were sitting close to the front on the side , and the sound and view was amazing . I saw very very few empty seats up at the back tier , and the standing area was packed, over capacity as people were standing in the aisles on the flat despite the ushers best efforts .

My favourite songs were ..Suburbia, Heart , Its a Sin, Being Boring ( my absolute no 1 !) And Domino Dancing .

Right now I hope I get to see them again soon .🤞

Yes , obscene.

Some of the gigs currently are ramping up prices very excessively .

You would want to be getting a full 3 hours of PG for that price .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Kinda regret not going now.

Have Kraftwerk next week. Not sure what to expect from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Fanirish

if seen then in last decade it’s same show by and large

Kraftwerk are meant to be amazing too .

I don't know enough of their music but if you do should be a good one .

My oh talking about it now too.

Got my Kraftwerk ticket ages ago 😉Trinity is a great venue, nice and spacious inside, so easy to get to and from, any number of places around for food/drink before you go in, etc.

I am presuming there will be Kraftwerk's usual full LED backdrop! I was at Beck at Trinity last year, really enjoyed it but the 'light show' was like something from a 70s wedding, was the only thing that could have been improved upon really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Glad to see that the Dublin gig was a success, they blew the roof off the Marquee in Cork last year, it was outstanding.

The sound system in the 3Arena is much better than the Marquee so the sound should have been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delboy85

I thought it was a great show too. The two hours flew by. What a strong back catalogue they have.

The only complaint that I have is that the sound was not great where I was sitting (to the right of the stage up near the front). I could barely hear his vocals on some of the songs. So it's interesting to hear others saying the sound was great in other parts of the arena.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how packed the place was. There definitely were some empty seats up at the very back, but not many at all.

Advertisement