Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experiences of Special needs summer Provision?

Options
  • 20-06-2023 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I know somebody who is working in a special school, has just got their teachers number and is now looking at the special provision for chilren with additional needs.

We are basically looking for info about pitfalls and issues to look out for as we do not have a lot of info at present. As far as we are aware, the parent can apply for and get 10 hours a week for four weeks from the Dept of Education. They can then employ a teacher who can work with the child and assist in their development.

As far as they know. They work the hours, the parent sends in the form to the Dept, and the teacher gets paid sometime in October. She understands the rate is about fourty euros per hour?

Does anyone know exactly how this works, any pitfalls and advise her what to look out for.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

Have A look back in this forum on Summer Provision.

After all these years I still don't know how to search a forum though, just do a general boards search.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I just looked again and there does not seem to be much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It used to be referred to as July Provision so try that as a search. There's an bulletin board for it on EducationPosts.ie also.

Basically you take a child for up to 40 hours over the summer, with a few different pay rates. Secondary teacher teaching secondary student is €51 p/h or so, Primary to primary is maybe €48, and there's a modified rate of €38 if you are providing Summer Provision to a student outside your own school level, same for PME and Yr3 and Yr4 undergraduates with a TC number. SNAs can also participate, circa €19 p/h I think.

It can be used for chalk and talk, or outings either, depending on the needs of the student, and the wishes of the parent. There have been some changes this year with small groups allowed, basically 2, or more, kids can go together in a group and instead of up to 40 hours each, they can get 60 between them. I'd imagine it was done to address the lack of school places and kids being isolated, also, more hope of finding a teacher if the same person has two in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

That is super, many thanks. I'm doing the research as she doesn't know and your tips would be great.

She got her teaching number already and is talking to parents right now. Two are awaiting word back about approval of hours. There was a deadline that may have been missed apparently.

Any other info would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

The portal has been reopened again so I don't think they will have missed the deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Anybody get paid yet?

Advertisement