Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy through potted plants

Options
  • 19-06-2023 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for some screening to provide privacy from my neighbours, hopefully this screening can be provided by using some kind of potted plant which could grow to 2 or 3 feet high and survive in the pots or planter boxes.

Is there anything the folks of boards could recommend? 2 to 3 feet high, survives in a pot or planter box, thick enough to provide screening throughout the year?

As per the attached picture I will be placing the planters on the firepit wall.

Thanks for the help with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you proposing to put the boxes along the top of that wall?

I can think of so many ideas why that is not a good idea, from chances of getting anything other than maybe a sedum or similar to grow in those circumstances to safety of having boxes on top of a wall. Though come to think of it a red valarian (those pink plants you see growing out of old walls and chimneys) or a buddleia, likewise. Neither seems to take to being deliberately planted in walls/containers, they seem to prefer to make their own decisions, and neither would give screening in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

What about bamboo grown in planters on the ground ? It grows fairly quick and bushes out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hbab2009

There is a lean to behind the wall, I was going to put the planters on the roof of lean to

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hbab2009

Thanks, will look at the bamboo option...cut it once a year so doesn't get too high

• Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think anything thick enough and tall enough to provide screening is going to have a hard time of it up there when it's windy in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

An idea might be to build a sturdy shelf on your wall and put an array of pot plants on it?

They would be below the real wind and would be fairly easily changed.

On top of the wall would be a bit of a no go I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

Get bamboo. Phyllostachys Bisetti is a good choice or similar. Big pots on the ground. Lots of water, don't let them dry out. Don't worry about ever trimming them. You won't need to.

Advertisement