Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sten results of 4 and 2

Options
  • 19-06-2023 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All

my 10 year old son got his report on Friday results of 4 in english and 2 in maths. He has been receving learnign support since senior infants and doesn't get the regular homework like the others in the class. His teacher commented that he can day dream a lot in class he said he needs to take more responsibility for his learning. How can i help him to even get up to an average test score. I'm worried about how he will cope in secondary school in two years time. Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary support teacher here, it's difficult to give you a proper answer based on just two test results. STEN 4 is in the average range, though it is low average. If he has difficulty reading, this may impact on how he handled that maths test. If he has been attending for support since infants and his homework is differentiated, does he have dyslexia or any other learning difference? Have you spoken with the support teacher? I presume he has a support plan and that you were consulted when it was being drawn up. Apologies for all the questions, I'm just trying to get a better sense of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 helterskelter2023

Hi thanks for your reply. I asked at his parents teacher meeting this year if he should get tested for dyslexia or even dispracia but he said he didn't think that was necessary. I've looked over his other reports and the results are the same really struggles with reading comprehension. His writing is also very poor and hates having to write. Losses concentration easily too. No I wasn't given a support plan he's just been attending since 1st class. Teacher commented in the report that he needs to take responsibility for his school work. Wondering if a tutor might help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

He should have a support plan if he's been attending for support. I'd definitely make an appointment to talk to the support teacher- even by phone at this stage. Ask them for suggestions you could work on together at home over the summer. The libraries run summer programmes to encourage children to read, it might be worth calling to your local one. https://www.librariesireland.ie/services/right-to-read/summer-stars Reading for leisure is important, you could get audiobooks through the library so he could listen to books he might not be able to read himself. That would help his comprehension and take the hard slog out of it . Maths wise, you could get a mental maths book for him to do at home and tie it to a little reward system , if you want. Otherwise games like these might help: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button -you can set the level yourself.It comes as an app as well. I'm always very slow to recommend tutors/grinds for primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My son struggled with maths and spelling when he changed schools. I've spent the last 5 years working with him almost daily to help him understand the method behind the answer in maths and weekly spelling tests.

A game he enjoyed for maths was https://www.coolmathgames.com/

hes average in his scores and will need to keep up the work as he goes into secondary this year.

He enjoys reading as do I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They had their graduation today from primary and at the party were playing on coolmathgames on their phones🤣

Advertisement