Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on route Kerry to Dungarvan

Options
  • 18-06-2023 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Hi .... I'm just looking for a bit of advice please if possible.

End of September I'm planning a cycle tour Kerry to Wales.

I was planning to go via N72 Mallow / Fermoy ect to Dungarvan then take greenway to waterford but as I've driven direct route a few times via Macroom / Cork I noticed a good amount of lanes (overtaking lanes) ...

I was just a bit worried about Cork carriageway (bypass) but a guy I know advised that the N72 route in his opinion wouldn't be as safe.... and his opinion would be just go direct ....

anybody here done this route and can advise.... even if there's another alternative....

Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Other than the N20 I'm, having a hard time thinking of a more hateful cycle route in Munster other than the N72.

If you have a look at map you'll notice the N72 just follows the Blackwater from Rathmore to Dungarvan; your best cycling route is on the other side of the river.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41864106

That's the way I did Dungarvan Killarney in February (you probably don't need to do what i did to avoid Millstreet but the rest is pretty direct and really quite. There's a unavoidable section of N72 between Fermoy and Clondulane.

The other option is something like this

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41912433

Cycletravel.com is always a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've never cycled it, but have driven it plenty of times and the N72 is a pig (and at least pigs are tasty). For the most part it's a twisty, narrow, busy almost sub R-standard road, Id probably go with the route LBSG recommended as a starting point (Fermoy - Lismore on the north side of the Blackwater is also a reasonable option). https://cycle.travel is also as he said excellent for planning this kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I've never minded the N72 when I've been on it. Granted I don't do it at commute times and tend to be East of Millstreet.

Mallow to Killavullen I'd definitely try the route south of the Blackwater as suggested. Good surface and not busy. Route suggested above by Large Bottle Small Glass for Mallow to Killavullen seems spot on to me.

Killavullen to Ballyhooly I think I'd prefer to be on the N72 North of the river even though it's busy and not fun. The south is so lumpy and a rough road, it's a tough cycle, whereas the N72 is flat and smooth. So I'd prefer N72 here. I do the southern piece a bit and it's punishing.

Ballyhooly to Fermoy is similar and just slightly better. I'd prefer N72 here too unfortunately.

Fermoy to Lismore, R666 as has been suggested above. No question whatsoever in my mind.

Lismore to Dungarvan I've done the N72 a lot of times and never had an issue. But I would suggest going through Villierstown just to go through Dromana Gate because it's so photogenic. It'd be a missed opportunity not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Just be aware that the road between Mallow and Killavullen is undergoing drainage works with local closures and diversions until the end of the year. I think it most cases, it will be possible to get a bike through - it certainly was when we encountered them last month.

I suppose it depends what you want from a cycle tour; will you trade better surfaces(sorted by tyres in any event), less elevation for rough surfaces and more climbing and really quite roads.

https://trafficdata.tii.ie/tfdayreport.asp?sgid=XzOA8m4lr27P0HaO3_srSB&spid=10DECCAFB755&reportdate=2023-06-02&enddate=2023-06-02

If you look at the daily data, close to 10 cars a minute at peak, or maybe a car or two per hour on the quiter sections, to me its a no brainer; but I get more people seem to choose the opposite.

https://goo.gl/maps/kHvvFqpjcykBF7yp6

https://goo.gl/maps/NdkqE97Q8qtwspDY7

I guess op which road above would you prefer to be on?

For example we rode that on Saturday and met more cars and noise between 79km to 83km that the other 104km combined but there had to be coffee😁.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43350361 A bit more urban, but Butter Road, Cork City, East Cork also an option. I think I'd prefer that to the N72 personally. Some of those more urban sections would be preferable to the amount of HGV traffic on the N72.

By worse surface I don't mean that it's got potholes (which it does), rather I mean that it's slow going. A bit of a slog.

If you were happy with meandering slower routes then I'd actually also suggest considering Geaneys Boreen from Killavullen to Glenville, then along the flat of the Bride Valley to Rathcormac, Castlelyons, Ballyduff. Would be very quiet and relaxed. Good surfaces and reasonably low elevation. That's a route I'd travel quite a bit. As I say that section from Killavullen to Ballyhooley in particular with its steep ups and downs is just a slog I prefer to avoid personally.

Youghal bridge is like something out of mad max. I always wonder, if someone hit you there, would anyone even know.

The Butter Road is not for the faint hearted. The section from Milstreet to Mushera is hard going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Thanks loads for your help .... I never saw that app before... I'll defo use that ....

The whole idea of this cycle is to get to Wales to do the cardiff half marathon and back ...

My thoughts are to start very early in morning and take a break around peak times.... I'm rough camping it so bringing tent / sleeping bag

So I'm not really looking for scenic routes... I can do 200km in a day but its roughly 285km to Rosslare which is really pushing it.

I've done a few 100km test runs with all gear on my tourer around glencar / blackvalley/ gap of dunlow and I'm running at just under an hour slower than on road bike which I'm happy with...

I do think I'm pushing it to do the whole route in one day especially as other side is really tough climb wise.

I'm really happy with advice that's been given .... really appreciate it people 🙏 😀

• Advertisement

Rough camping, 200km a day would be a limit for me, especially with the weight of a touring rig.

I've tried 700km plus in 3 days with 11,000m plus climbing; it ain't a lot of fun when you run out of time and you are in the dark, hungry and wet.

Split that trip in two, add another day

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

+1 for that. It’s a great route if you’re looking to challenge your climbing legs but now you’ve explained you’re looking to squeeze in as many km’s as possible with a heavy rig, the Butter Road definitely not a good fit.

Cycled from Cork to Millstreet a few weeks ago and realised after about 30k I had a problem with my hamstring and generally sore legs after some ill-advised S and C work. Lad I was with was training for Wicklow 200 and was mad to head up the Butter Road to Mushera from Millstreet. I hadn't the heart to tell him how much pain I was in. I normally love hills but it was as close as I've ever come to climbing off, throwing a strop and ringing the wife for a spin home. I dug in and made it to the top of Mushera but my legs were in bits for a while after. It'd be a hell on a heavy bike with loads of gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ha ha SOLD ..... I'll stay away from that so .... :) 😀

At the weekend now I'll sit down and try and make sense of this route...

Advertisement