Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedplay unwanted unclipping

Options
  • 18-06-2023 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have used speedplay for years and never had issues until recently. The platform always felt firm but now there is a big fear of unclipping when sprinting. When pedaling it feels a little like they are on ice.

There is rolling side to side movement on the pedals and I'm wondering what that means ? I presume it's not normal ?

Have videos which I can't upload here, will try and get them elsewhere and link to them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

How old are the cleats? There is a spring inside the cleats that wears out eventually which could be the cause of the rocking you are experiencing and the unwanted uncliping

Another thing to check would be making sure the bolts on your shoes holding your cleats in place are tightened correctly.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That lateral play is usually the spring, the speed play cleats have the retention system in the cleat itself, and over time the metal clip wears away and introduces more and more play.

How old are the cleats?

One of the cleats was put on for the first time recently along with the base plate it attaches to and there is still rocking.

I tried loosening of the cleats screws a little to see if this made a difference but it didn't

The pedals however are quite old and I wondering could this have an impact ?

I tried another set of old pedals but the result was the same.

I've 3 sets of speedplay pedals but made a decision some years back to not invest any more in them. While I ordered new cleats fairly recently from Amazon the last of my 3 sets of pedals were purchased March 2017. Apart from pedal wear (which isn't obvious when looking at them) I wondering has some incompatibility been introduced between newer cleats and old pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

That deffo looks like a spring issue,

Obvious things to check would be a broken spring and is everything assembled in the right order.

From your vidoes it looks like its happening on both sides ie crank side and non crank side.

Was the rocking there with the old cleats and new cleats?

• Advertisement

One side is a new cleat and the other side old and it's happening on both. Being using non speedplay pedals recently. It's hard to remember the exact sequence but the worsening has been progressive.

I'm inclined to think its the pedals but aren't completly sure. Came across

"To address an issue with older Speedplay pedals where the pedal body would wear out over time and cause a “rocking” sensation, Wahoo has added a metal plate to the pedal body. The plate replaces plastic that was previously at the interface where the cleat clips on"

in

And

"On the subject of wear, the original Speedplay pedals suffered from problems on the pedal bodies, as they only had a steel ‘bowtie’ across the middle for the cleat spring to clip onto."

from

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/wahoo-speedplay-zero-pedals-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I had something very similar happen BUT it was on the Chinese version. Turns out the screws that hold the pedal body together came loose. Maybe try and see if there is a bit on movement on them .

Hadn't thought of that, will check that tomorrow thanks

Advertisement