Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Piece [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Cowboy Bebop is anything to go by, it'll last one season, with anime fans annoyed by the live action, and casual watchers a bit confused and disinterested.

Me? Not sure what to make of it; the trailer did feel like it was leaning more into the former camp than people for whom the name means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As someone up to date with the anime, I think it looks good, albeit a bit jarring in english. I might work, and general reaction seems to be positive to the trailer so I'm hopeful. Will give it a watch either way. It's a massive investment if it works, because it's only 1 of 11 arcs! Doubt it'll go the whole way, and maybe be lucky to get a second arc out of it let alone 11. And it's not exactly suited for a film series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Full trailer, yar. Not for me. Will see how it does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still have no idea what to make of that; I guess the wacky tone works fine as an animated cartoon - but really not gelling with it as live action. But then based on the trailer I do find myself wonder: is this a kids cartoon? Cos if so, then the trailer makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone that prefers the Japanese voices, apparently there will be a Japanese dub option with the original voice actors.

I started the anime but only got about 15 eps watched so far. Over 1000 episodes is a lot to catch up on. So interested to check this out.

Yeah, this really doesn't look my style; I'd sooner just check out the anime TBH. Still seems like a good shout for the latest expensive / prominent Netflix cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

For anyone who doesn't know the manga/anime plot.

At the end of the first episode there's a character in a dark room with a spot light, after that scene plays out then skip to the next episode.

There's a "this season" thing that shows a lot of what's coming in the season (obv) including some stuff that could spoil stuff, and makes no sense why there'd have that when it's not a weekly release other than worries they'd might lose people who'd not bother watching ep 2.

So I sat down last night to watch the first few episodes and ended up binging the whole lot. As a fan of the anime, I have to say that was fantastic. At the very least, it sets a new bar for anime to live action. The English was again, initially jarring, and especially when the British accents started showing up, but i think each character was as well portrayed in live action as possible. They even made Usopp less annoying, so win there!

I think the whole thing was excellently presented. I never felt like it was cheap, considering the content. The special moves were well done, the practical costumes worked, the acting was on point for the most part, with special mentions to the lads playing Arlong, Garp, Buggy and Red Leg.

Having the advantage of being up to date but yet not having seen those arcs in ages, it was a great nostalgic trip and a good reminder of where the characters started, albeit with a few changes. I think this is where some people may have issues, describing some characters as one dimensional, but this the the very start of their developments. Considering all that happens, the surface has barely been scratched.

And that leads me to some concerns for the future, obvious future spoilers/up to date anime spoilers:

The massive budget for this and we haven't seen a fraction of what's to come. How are they going to do live action versions of Chopper, Frankie, Brooke, Jinbei. Not to mention Big Mamma, Kaido, time skip Frankie, etc. How much of the backstories will be dropped, like the recent stupidly long Wano setup arc. It's all important.

The budget will have to increase massively each season. And it's already quite big. But I hope it succeeds and we get more of it.

I wouldn't call it a kids show. It has childish elements, all of which have a purpose, the special moves have to be accepted. People need to go into this realising the impossible is possible. There's rules, but so many ways to get around them. There's fish people, animal people, and so so much more. Just accept it. Go along for the ride.

Some people will find it immature or childish, definitely. But the first episode has a visible cut in half body. There's blood spatters and people die on screen.

Again, I thought it was utterly fantastic and I was glued to it start to finish. It can't compere with the anime, nor does it try to. Maybe the inclusion of Oda throughout helped, but I'm on board the Going Sunny for the ride, and I hope it has a long future. 9.5/10 for this slight fanboy.

Bah, was about to start a rewatch with the Japanese audio but stupid Netflix only has the English (CC) option for subtitles... don't imagine we'll ever get the non CC ones... useful for those who need them, extremely annoying for those who don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Binge watched all eight episodes, very sad in depth character development,great fight scenes the actors playing Buggy and Arlong were campy theatrical, Coby and Garp were great Luffy Zoro Nami Usop and Sanji were all fantastic, thought Usops nose could have been better. You really get to meet the characters am very hopeful for season 2 can't wait to see Tony Tony Chopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭McFly85

Never watched the anime but have to say that was really fun! Wacky for sure but with a lot of heart.

Seems to be doing very well for Netflix, no. 1 in 84 countries, getting good reviews and existing fans seem pretty happy, we might get another season of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Really enjoyed that.

Glad it's getting a good reception from fans and non-fans alike.

Not familiar with the main actor from anything else but he's really likeable.

I would expect a second season but not sure due to cost.

Hope the Last Airbender adaptation is as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Watched the first episode earlier and really enjoyed it. It is funny and weird and the action is great.

Something felt a bit off though and it was a while before I realised that it was Koby. I don’t know if is the actor, the character or the direction that he got but he just seemed to suck the life out any scene he was in. I assume he will be back at some point but I hope he isn’t a regular character.

I can’t figure out why they didn’t make this a more “family friendly” series though. Surely the more people that can watch the more value it has. I’m not complaining, just curious as besides the guy getting cut in two the violence was all bloodless.

I doubt we'd see Koby next season if there is one, it'd be a B story if he does get shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭kerplun k

No prior knowledge to the source material.

Great opening episode. I hope they can maintain that high tempo, fun energy throughout the season.

I'd say it did get made more family friendly, bar 1 change in one instance that went darker.

Aye, the manga is not exactly kid friendly. It's wacky and zany and kid-like, but it has some serious stories tackling a range of issues, but in the OP way. And is a bit more violent. It is about pirates after all! The anime has changed some scenes from the manga to make it more kid friendly (ie: the Zeff leg story is different in the anime). But overall, I wouldn't say it's suitable for young kids. Koby will be back, but if they're following the arcs close enough, he won't be back for a while, and has a bit of working out to do!

The only issue with this current rise in popularity is there's some dicks out there sharing new manga panels covering stuff the anime hasn't done yet so spoilers galore. And I'd imagine it's worse if you've never seen any. The stories in OP are sometimes batsh!t crazy. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just came in to say it, Oda released the news and accompanied by a bit about the Straw Hat crew needing a doctor and a drawing of said doctor, so I believe they're gonna keep the look from the anime, that'll be interesting to see how they do it. Hype!

• Advertisement

Hopefully they don't make a lot of changes again for no reason.

Like changing Nami's village so they weren't in on her plan, or killing off Merry. Trying to save time is one thing (like with Krieg) but they could have given Kuina/zorro another 5 minutes of story, it was too abrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭xtal191

Where can you watch the anime? Preferably non dubbed

Crunchyroll has the whole thing, dubbed, subbed.

Advertisement