Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swarming flies in the garden

Options
  • 18-06-2023 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for advice for dealing with swarming flies in the garden. My garden has a large lawn surrounded by a mix of broadleaf and pine trees and areas of native wild flowers etc. Any time I have to do anything in the garden that disturbs the ground I get swarmed by black flies and clegs, and it isn't just one or two there are clouds of them around me. Today I had to mow the lawn in the heat in long trousers, long sleeve top, hat, gloves and mask. I know this might seem dramatic but if I don't cover up, any exposed area gets bitten. Is there anything I can do to either deter the flies or to reduce their numbers? Also I try to keep pollinators in the garden so I'd like to avoid insecticides if I can unless there is some fly-specific solution. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Other than using a citronella based fly repellent on yourself I can't be much help. I find I am very attractive to mosquitos and biting flies but I certainly don't have flies in the quantities you suggest.

Cluster flies hatch in the ground and the recent dry weather may have made the ground more attractive to them, with lots of the cracks they like to lay eggs in. You would certainly get swarms of flies from them. We have cattle in adjacent fields sometimes but I can't say I have noticed significant numbers of extra flies from them.

Apparently midges (aka midgets in Ireland 😀 ) are attracted to dark clothing and carbon dioxide, so if you are puffing round the garden in your black trakkies you are a midge magnet, try a light coloured outfit, see does it help.

I have observed though that some trees are more fly-attractive than others. Alder, sycamore and oak tend to attract flies that gather under them. I have one English oak that always has a cloud of flies under it, and another different variety of oak that doesn't seem to have flies at all. Maybe its more to do with the trees' surroundings than the actual tree. I have a mature magnolia tree that you can sit under and never see a fly. Hawthorn seems to be anti-fly as well. These are not definite, just personal observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I used to get tortured with flies when I would be in the garden, cutting grass etc. Anything that made me sweat, would be like heaven for flies. They'd be in my ears walking on my face etc. To the extent I had to abandon work often..or else wear one of those fine black mesh nets over my head and face, held in place with a baseball cap. I looked like an evil beekeeper!

I then tried the obvious sprays. The tropical repellent ones. They definitely worked.

But I think the best thing you'll spend money on will be Nosilife gear. I have a cap with neck protector, a long sleeved polo shirt and a short sleeve shirt. They are a godsend. They really do repel the vast majority of flies.

I think the Nosilife trademark is only from Craghoppers brand, but I'm sure there are other ones out there.

Advertisement