Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Grade Glitch

Options
  • 18-06-2023 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Most of us on the Evil 200 yesterday had problems with our Garmins under-reading altitude, amount of climbing and percentage grade. At times on 10%+ climbs it was showing 1% or even -2% and the overall total climbing on mine was somewhere around 3,000m rather than the Strava corrected 4,853m.

Not only was it raining at times but it was also misty or humid most of the day so that might have affected the barometer. My screen even showed a slight cloudy patch under the glass at times.

Anyone else had similar problems yesterday or generally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Yep there is usually a small hole on the back of the unit to measure the pressure and temperature when on a ride. It can be blocked by water in heavy rain which is a pain in the ass.

Tried a garmin cover which worked sometimes but with the elevation correction option I just live with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

While the elevation correction is there, it's not much use if you are setting out to make a specific total elevation. I was hoping to pass 5,000m yesterday but, with the Garmin acting up, I ended up with 2,700 which corrected to 4,956. Had I known it would be 4,956, I would have done a bit more climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

On the steepest part of Kilmashogue Lane at the end, my Garmin was showing 1%. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ya I know and the correction is always on the low side as there are some spins I do regularly and it's elevation correction never matches what I get on a dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Glad I ended up being 147m short of 5k as there is no way I would have taken that on at 9.30pm! Just 44k short is a real bummer 😫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Saturday was a bad one for barometric altimeters. Mine read 400m after a 100k spin around Wicklow (pretty much impossible) and on several climbs it was showing negative gradients! I think it really only happens when there is a big change in air pressure - my guess is that all the rain on Saturday was accompanied by a fast change in air pressure and that screwed up all the equipment readings.

Advertisement