Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skirting Board Covers

Options
  • 17-06-2023 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I am about to lay laminate flooring in a number of rooms. These rooms have teak skirting boards attached to block walls with masonry nails, so removing them would be quite a job and probably cause damage to plaster and paint work. I don't think using beading to give the recommended 10mm gap around the walls looks very well.

I have been looking at MDF skirting board covers online an am wondering if they are a viable alternative. The new floor would leave a 10mm gab from the existing skirting and then I could put on the skirting board covers to cover the gap and old skirting. Does anyone have any ideas on this, pros or cons, or has anyone used these covers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

Anything fitted retrospectively over or against the existing skirting can be poor - imo.

We've done wooden floors and made the decision to simply fit new skirtings.

We have in the past planted a plain skirting board over an existing small skirting and than a moulded top piece - but the details are tricky - the skirting could look bulky and you may have an issue at external corners or at openings.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

I recently went through this in two rooms. One has existing skirting, the other had it removed.

If it’s old style skirting it’s probably pretty low height, you could remove with some damage/minor filling and fit a higher skirting to cover.

otherwise you could put some beading down, which should cover your 10mm gap, but hard to match to teak colouring.

If the covering is something you can get a sample of, get some and measure them up against the old skirting.

what you do with the architrave is another story!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Serengeti

Thanks for replies.

I ended up removing the skirting board and replacing. Not too much damage done to walls in removing and I was surprised that it actually came off without too much difficulty. The teak skirting did shatter in places, but since I was not reusing it, this was not a concern.

As Exodus 1811 says, the old skirting was low and the new higher one covers up the bits of damage to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No brainer really.

You now have a fresh professional looking finish. Beading never looks right.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nickkohl

Using MDF skirting board covers as an alternative to removing your existing teak skirting boards when laying laminate flooring can be a viable option. It allows you to maintain the integrity of your walls and minimize damage to the plaster and paintwork. Pros of using MDF skirting board covers:

Aesthetic Appeal: MDF skirting board covers can provide a modern and seamless look when properly installed, enhancing the overall appearance of your room.

Easy Installation: They are relatively easy to install, especially if you're experienced with DIY projects.

Cost-Effective: MDF skirting board covers are often more budget-friendly compared to replacing the entire skirting board.

Cons to consider:

Thickness: Ensure that the thickness of the MDF skirting board covers matches the gap left by your laminate flooring to achieve a flush finish.

Painting: You may need to paint or finish the covers to match your existing skirting boards, which can be an additional step in your project.

Durability: While MDF is durable, it may not be as robust as hardwood skirting boards, so consider the wear and tear they might endure.

In summary, modern skirting board covers can be a practical solution to maintain the appearance of your existing skirting boards while accommodating the new laminate flooring. Just ensure proper measurements and a seamless finish to achieve the desired look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement