Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

great download and upload speed FTTH but feel like its laggy sometimes and dropping out

Options
  • 15-06-2023 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭

A couple of weeks ago there was a big problem with the FTTH and it was off for days - they traced a damaged fibre cable in the cabinet exchange and fixed it.

is it possible that even though I have a great download and upload mbps speed though speedtest by ookla that there could still be problems somewhere .

I am almost 100 percent sure that before all this happened when i went onto youtube.com on my windows laptop through chrome that (say on a HD 1080p uploaded video) that it automatically played at 720p or 1080p (if you press the settings cog when on youtube and its set to 'auto' quality settings) - well now since that big problem with the FTTH it starts at only 480p or 240p and I have to manually set 720p or 1080p.

Also been getting briefly a message on facebook 'page can not be displayed' for about a second if that and then it brings up the page fine. happens quite often now - didnt before the FTTH went off.

and then every now and again on chrome 'internet has been restored' message bottom left of screen.

here is speedtest (done this by ethernet wire to the router wired LAN socket not by wireless):

Imagine if I had to phone my ISP provider and gave them these figures - they will say that nothing is wrong and that there is no fault and start getting me rebooting router and ONT (which I have done already a couple of times)

do you know what else it could be?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

What FTTH speed package are you supposed to be on? 500Mb or 1Gb?

Have you double-checked the network connection properties on your computer to make sure that its connected at 1000 Mb rather than 100 Mb? If its 100 Mb, neither your network card is limited to 100 Mb or the cable may be faulty and you should try another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

thank you for your answer

150mbps FTTH package we signed up to at the time but I see they don't do that package now (300mbps smallest now)

The card is Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

10/100mbps LAN card in the laptop

still automatically played 720p HD on youtube and didn't have the messages 'your internet has been restored' and 'cannot display page' briefly before they (open eir) did what they did

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Connet to modem with a cable

Bring up a cmd prompt and type in

ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Leave it 10 mins and then press ctrl and c

It will tell you how many packets and percentage were lost

if more then 0 ring provider and say you have packet loss

ah right thank you - i had forgotten about the packet loss test I must try that tomorrow thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That is perfectly normal for YT, myself have been getting 360p default quality for videos the past week (guess everyone is going down the rabbit hole), its not as much about your speed as the network congestion

• Advertisement

The issue is your network adapter is limited to 100 Mb (Fast Ethernet) so you won't get speed than you're getting now.

It might be possible to get a USB to Ethernet adapter to get higher speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They've also launched a "1080p Premium" option that needs a YouTube Premium sub. So I wouldn't be surprised if they're degrading the experience for free users.

pretty sure the wife's laptop from work is (although not that new) is a bit newer than mine and has a 10/100/1000 card in it so I will do a 10 minute packet loss test later on with her one and see what it throws up

Post edited by Andy From Sligo on

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Nothing wrong with that, so dont bother with isp

Try the ping test again with the machine thats giving problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Are YouTube and Facebook exhibiting similar behaviour on your wife's laptop? If your laptop is only 10/100 NIC then it is probably old/underpowered and may not have the CPU/RAM to render smoothly.

As others have mentioned YouTube can be erratic, on my desktop I just opened a video and it defaulted to 480p (mid tier CPU and GPU's from 3 years ago, loads of RAM and 1Gb NIC and 1Gb ISP connection). Manually selecting 1080p it streams flawlessly so they may be trying to save bandwidth by defaulting you low as many wont notice or care and those that do will switch manually.

My TV usually defaults to 1080p and can play 2160p no problem as well so my connection is well capable.

even though my laptop has a 10/100 LAN card it does have a QCA9377 AC wireless card in it so on 5G AC the link speed is 433mbps (better than the LAN card)

I must say trying the packet loss test and getting 0% packets lost it does feel faster now and I havent got the brief 'page cannot be displayed' so maybe its all working fine now.

still the youtube vids choose to play 360p as default whereas before they chose 720p or 1080p - but as others have said maybe youtube has changed it now wanting people to get the 1080p premium

do these tracert figures look OK what I performed last night , any idea why so many 'request timed out' messages:

to youtube.com:

To Google.ie:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looks fine to me. That just means those intermediate hops are configured not to respond to pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your laptop is 10/100? Is it 15yrs old perhaps?

no not at all its a Lenovo ideapad 330-14IGM 2018 , thats why I am shocked its only got 10/100 LAN card. The specs on some of their website for the specifications says its a 10/100/1000 but checking in my device manager its not, only 10/100

- still, on the plus side the WLAN is dual band AC

so anyway - this evening just like that every youtube is back to choosing to start in auto 1080p without intervention, even on those ones with 'premium' options and plays nice and smooth - hope it stays like this.

someone must have 'totally fixed' the problem

deleted

• Advertisement
Advertisement