Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deflower begonias

Options
  • 15-06-2023 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hey all,

I have bought some bergonias (doubles)today approximately 50, still small but with their first flower on them, they look beautiful already.

I forgot to pick up some compost at the nursery so I stopped off at a garden center on the way home.

The owner was helping me with the compost into the car and he was admiring them, said they were really good plants.

So he said to me to deflower them all when I plant then, that they are only the plants first flower and it would be good for them.

Just wondering whats your opinion on this? The flowers are good and strong and look beautiful it seems a shame to take them off, but obviously if I get confirmation that's a good thing to do then I'll do it.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Removing flowers or very new young leaf growth can help a plant get established so its a quite reasonable idea. I would not take off unopened buds, just open flowers. Whether you want to do it is up to you. If you can transplant them with lots of water and minimal disturbance to the roots you may be ok to leave them, if they show the least sign of wilting take off the new flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Tikka391

Thanks very much for the advice, I'm a novice just starting to learn the ropes 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭standardg60

The reasoning behind it is fine but it's quite oldschool, they've already put the energy into flowering so i'd just enjoy the flowers and dead head as they fade, shouldn't really make any difference to the health of the plant.

Advertisement