Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Espresso Recipes

Options
  • 15-06-2023 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey all, so I work in a small coffee shop and when I started I knew very little about coffee. I tried educating myself by reading online, watching videos etc and to be fair, i have improved drastically. I'm confident in saying I know more about coffee than the majority of customers/public.

However, I still struggle with coffee recipes and brewing ratios. These last couple of weeks I've noticed one of my group heads is extracting a lot faster than the other. Now I'm not sure of this is due to a fault with the machine itself possibly? maybe and issue with a pump or pressure valve?

At the moment I'm dosing 21g in, and brewing approx. 45-48g out. On one group I'm extracting in 18 seconds (still quite fast), while the other group is extracting in 10 seconds! I've tried altering grind time, grind size, dosing weight etc. But its all confusing my mind that there are too many factors that 'need' to be a specific measure all at the same time.

For example, I can get dosing weight, and brew weight fine but the extraction time is off. Try decreasing grind size; brew weight and extraction time is fine but my dosing weight is now too little. Try putting a little extra coffee in the basket to make up to 21g; Dosing weight is fine, brew weight fine, extraction time is too long now...I'm going in circles!

And this is all while still trying to make an espresso that doesn't taste like **** 😅

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Presume the group heads are on the same machine? What type of machine? Might be worth descaling the machine, cleaning/replacing the gaskets, or getting it serviced if it's under some kind of service contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

I am not sure why there is a brewing difference between two group heads ( surely every commercial machine has a pressure gauge?)

As for the trouble to get brewing ratio /extraction time right, probably grinder to blame .

What make of it , doser/on demand/single dose ? Some of them not easy to set, could be a delay of few shots until new settings take effect.

Basically you troubles are normal if you have less than 1-2 months experience , otherwise might be hardware fault.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Sounds like you may have a pressure variance, either because of an issue with the OPV or scaling.

Put a jug under the grouphead (no portafilter) and time how long it takes to get to, say 100ml of water. Do the same on the good group head and this will confirm the above. If you've a variance, descale. If that doesn't work, call in the engineer.

Advertisement