Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Interview for Job I Don't Want

Options
  • 15-06-2023 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

My officer has made an appointment for an interview with a construction company. My officer and I agreed that a job in IT is my progression plan along with education and I'm hoping to attend college this year and get BTEA. I also have no desire to work at construction. I'm autistic and don't think I could handle the environment. I don't want to sound ungrateful, I just am looking for more of a desk job.

Am I allowed to decline based on these reasons? I know I could just do badly at the interview but it's really not something I'd like to do. I'd appreciate any advice at all. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'd imagine the idea is that you work in construction until you find an IT job that suits. Their primary function is to get you off the jobseekers and into gainful employment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭gipi

Is the job with the construction company a construction type job or could it be office or IT based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Did you discuss your autism and your desire to go back to school in September with your case officer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Job interviews are are a skill onto themselves. I would go ahead with the interview just to get some practice even if you don't want the job. This could serve you well when you find a job you do want.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

If its an office job like Document Control it will be fine and pays well enough, I've done admin for Construction companies the last 10 years and 99% of the tradesmen are bang on, I'm on the spectrum myself and never found issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Advertisement