Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring outdoor Shed for office

Options
  • 14-06-2023 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a feed coming from my House fuseboard to a wiska box outside (Not connected at all) So I have ran a 6mm SWA cable from the Wiska Box to my shed where I will have a consumer unit. SO I have a couple of questions;

I am wiring for 3 double sockets and 2 lights. (Generally only sockets will be used for laptop monitor and printer) Also, I may put in a sauna (single sauna very small at a later stage)

So can someone tell me what amp type RCB/MCB I would need for the fuseboard in the house and then also the consumer unit?

I look forward to hearing back,

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what size is the cable from house to junction box?

What is the lenthg of the cable runs?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭prodigy1

Hi there many thanks for getting back to me. I believe its 2.5mm mains cable from house to junction box(which is like 15ft from fuseboard)

From junction box to shed is 30ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

Apologies its 6mm T&E cable at junction box. So back to my original question; what would I need regarding the consumer unit and mains fusboard.

Is it a 20amp MCB at main fuseboard in house then for the consumer unit; 20 amp for sockets and 10amp for lights??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Your Registered Electrical Contractor will deal with all aspects of design, as well as installation and verification.

• Advertisement

Well thats fantastic, thanks for that!!! So what is asking advice on here for? I am trying to do the majority if the work myself obviosly. Going on that response why would anyone ask for advice or information on anything. "Get your Registered Professional", thats it Boards you can finally shut down your site...And just leave that qoute up!

Annnnnnnnyway, can someone else just give me some advice so I can do the majority of the work, before I get my registered professional to sign off on the works

You cannot legally do the majority of the work (or indeed any of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

You'll never get the work done right - that's problem no1

You just think you know what you're doing

Other issue is Recs won't give out a cert regardless of the work quality

So just to confirm you are saying that eventhough the Electrician will be wiring up the fusboard and all relevant connections that they wont give out the cert because I effectively bought the equipment, ran the cables and dug the trench etc? Surely that cant be right? All I am asking is for what amp MCB's I need for the consumer unit. I cannot understand why you cannot say for example; "well if all you running off the socket in a she is a laptop/printer then a 20amp will absolutley do..Oh an just 1 light fitting, well then a 10amp will do". Talk about being stone walled my god. God forbid I had a deep cut and before I put pressure on it , no you cant it can only be a doctor....and I bleed out. Thats essentially the analogy of the synopsis of these comments.

Anyway dont worry about thank for nada

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

That’s a stupid comment,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Except when it's their own, regardless of the work quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Strictly speaking the position is that these are ‘Restricted Works’ as provided for in the Energy (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2006. Since 2013, only Registered Electrical Contractors are permitted to carry out these works on a domestic premises. Running cables yourself and having an electrical contractor connect them subsequently isn’t ideal, as the contractor would be certifying works he didn’t carry out. Some contractors may be prepared to do it, but it’s not best practice.

On your original question, it depends! There are a number of factors which a contractor will consider when deciding on most suitable circuit protection, including disconnection times, discrimination and the current carrying capacity of the cable.

But based on the info you have provided, the below would most likely be satisfactory having regard to your cable lengths and anticipated load;

A 25A MCB in the house CU, and then in the office: 16A RCBO for the socket circuit and a separate 16A RCBO for the future sauna supply. A 6A RCBO for the lights.

Hope the job works out for you.

I take on board everything you said and fully appreciate your openess to discuss all aspects of what I am looking to complete. You have been extremely imformative and helpful. Thanks very much!

Certifying works carried out by a third party isn't simply "not best practice" but actually is expressly prohibited without a Change of Contractor application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Advertisement