Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cormac McCarthy RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Ah, that's sad news. I must finish off the two books he released last year. I've read almost all his other work.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

RIP.

First came across him when I bought 'All the Pretty Horses' for my Dad, who really liked westerns. Not sure quite what he made of it (he was more of a Louis L'Amour fan) but I was immediately hooked on the language, the imagery.

There are lines, passages, paragraphs in Suttree or Blood Meridian which are still etched into my mind years after having read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

One of the modern era's finest story writers. But, I have to admit, I absolutely loath his writing style. His prose can be just awful to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Once of the great novelists in my opinion.

He was such a beautiful writer, reading one of his books was like being in a trance.He could write about the most banal things and make it interesting.You could just find joy in the beauty of the writing even if nothing was happening in the plot.

I haven't read all of the books yet but All The Pretty Horses is probably my favourite book of all time (along with Lonesome Dove), although the entire Border Trilogy is outstanding. We're lucky he lived long enough for his final 2 Novels The Passenger and Stella Maris to have been published late last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

His writing style was beautiful in my opinion, very hypnotic, he'd have you in a trance with it.In his last 2 books there is very little plot and yet I was gripped because of how pleasurable it was to read.

There is a sequence in The Crossing which described one of the characters looking after an abandoned wolf pup and it's incredible writing.

I'd argue his prose and the beauty of it is far more impressive than his story telling and is the reason he has been so acclaimed. Stephen King for example is an incredible story teller but his writing isn't particularly outstanding , I'd argue McCarthy is on the opposite end of the scale with his prose being far more the reason for his acclaim than the stories (although the stories are great in most of his books that I've read).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

'The legacy of the word is a fragile thing for all its power, but I know where you stand, Squire. I know that there are words spoken by men ages dead that will never leave your heart.'

Cormac McCarthy, The Passenger

Advertisement