Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genesis Flyer SIngle Speed

Options
  • 13-06-2023 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

any owners of this or anyone with some as experience want to weigh in

need a bike for short work commutes (all less than 10k on flat)

would like mudguards and rack, but also the option to go for occasional longer fitness cycles.

the simplicity of the flyer attracts me and the drops etc. also the challenge. Have ridden a fixed many years ago

madness at my age (50s)?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's at least one boardsie who has ridden 100k+ on theirs I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JoeFloyd

pretty sure the flyer comes set up with front and rear brakes, and a single speed freewheel (with the option of running a true fixed gear)*. single speed/fixed is great for commuting, unless you have a serious climb along the way, and even then it would need to be a tough gradient to be of major concern for the stock gear size If anything, you might find the gear is too light for faster sections of your journey.

*I see the latest flyer is disc brake, so I'm not sure if there's an option to run it fixed. The older rim brake model had a flip-flop rear wheel, giving the 2 options.

a single speed is fine for longer recreational solo rides - but might be an issue if going on group rides with folks who have a selection of gears for mixed terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I bought one for the purposes of the odd commute to work but embarrassingly I haven't actually used it yet. Seems pretty well built though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yep the new disc version only comes single speed, if it was me I’d be looking for one of the older rim brake ones with the flip flop hub. The only issue is the tyre clearance is fairly tight with mudguards, you’re probably looking at 28mm or 30mm at a push, compared to the new one which fits up to 42mm I think

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I have a rim-brake Flyer. Its a great bike, and cheap to run. It can just about fit 28 mm tyres with mudguards. I can also fit a rack, I think it is a tortec ultralite rear rack. But the rack wont fit on one of the seat stays due to the brake, I have to use a p-clip. I've done a couple of 200km solo rides on it, but its obviously not a bike to bring out on a group ride.

The new disc based Flyer can handle much larger tyres, easier to fit mudguards and a rack too.

If you are looking at other single-speeds / fixed, be aware that some are based on track bikes, which would have a more aggressive geometry than the Flyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I have the genesis Flyer "gravel bike" if that's same or similar? Single speed.

Have it about a year.

Probably overpriced really.

No real problems with it as such, have been commuting on it for about a year as my work location is not suitable for storing any of the good bikes.

I find the cranks pretty awful, just constant creaking etc.

Also I never used single speed before and hadn't really thought about what a puncture would mean, in terms of wheel off with Allen keys, chain adjustment etc.... Basically a fair bit of a faff if not something you're used to, but got used to it quickly enough.

Advertisement