Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ohme or Zappi Charger?

Options
  • 12-06-2023 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Don't really know a lot about home chargers tbh, but just wanted to find out which of these chargers would be the preferred choice of people in the know.

It's there much difference in which charger you get for the house?

if it makes any difference the car it will be charging is a Skoda Enyaq.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve used both. They both charge the car in the same as a charger half the price does.

It’s like picking between the base white sockets for the kitchen wall or the chrome ones with usb slots.

Ir depends on whether you have PV panels or if you plan to install them. Zappi integrates really well with the other myenergi products such as eddi and giv energy battery etc so that’s worth considering.

wallbox does the same for cheaper.

OHME can work with PV with an add on to I believe. Zappi is €799 fitted after the grant from easygo so how much is the ohme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Thanks for the feedback.

The ohme pro is €1399, am assuming this is before the grant is deducted.

Was talking to a guy from Ohme and he said their charger comes with a SIM card that will charge the car when the electricity is on cheaper rate. Not sure if this is a standard feature on other chargers.

We don't have PV panels fitted and no plans ATM to have them fitted but never say never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I had Ohme, works fine but designed for the UK market and tariffs.

I subsequently installed solar PV, which the Ohme does not support so I switched it for a Zappi.

If there's ever a chance you'll install solar PV then go for the Zappi.

That’s standard, although the others have built in WiFi so no SIM card or reception to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

just had a look on easygo and can only see wallbox pulsar chargers.

Are these similar to Zappi?

apologies for the noob questions but I really haven't got a clue what I'm looking at

• Advertisement

Similar. Zappi is more expensive at 799 fitted after grant. Wallbox is 599. I’d have no issues with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Go for Zappi. As user mentioned above it will be handy if you ever go for solar panels as it integrates well with Eddi.

I bought a €500 Elli charger with my ID4. It's pretty basic but Skoda do the same charger if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Disadvantage is that you can't time charges but for €800 you can get the better version with this function built in.

Saying that. Most people just spend the money and go with a Zappi. I'm not sure if they offer much benefit but in the long run if you have the cash, go with that one. Electricans like zappis too. It's like they were all trained on them.

The Elli is missing load balancing but I've found mine works fine without it, even with the car charging and electric shower on. My electrician told me I needed load balancing, I went online, ordered some part and sure he never came back to fit it.

Go with a cheap Elli if you just want a basic charger. Go with Zappi if you want an easier life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Could throw the EO Mini Pro into the mix, it's similar price to the Ohme in that it's slightly cheaper than Zappi from most suppliers and like the rest, will charge a car. It also supports solar charging if that's ever an option down the line for you (although their website is incredibly vague about solar support).

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If you don't plan on solar PV get the cheapest reliable option there is. You can start the charge via the app for the car if it is similar to the VW one. Or set the timers via the car rather than on a charger, assuming the car is on the most recent software.

Advertisement