Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Road Bike To Get On B2W

Options
  • 12-06-2023 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm due to get a new bike using B2W and was wondering two things:

1, Which Dublin Bike shop should I go to? (Willing to go to any bike shop in Dublin)

2, Specifically, if there are options, which Road bike to get?

I currently cycle and there are three things I would probably request to upgrade on the bike:

1, Installing Mudguards

2, Installing a Back Rack

3, Replace stock tyres with Gatorskin tyres.

I'll pay extra on top of the allowance for theses upgrades.

Thank you all for the help, I'm kinda at a loss with the choice!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you want a drop bar bike? what are the intended uses?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Yes I'm looking for a drop handle bar bike.

I enjoy long cycles circa 2+ hours a couple of times a week and I generally do a couple of mutli-day cycles a year (cycled to Tipperary and back last year for example).

Thank you for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you're not chasing speed, I'd suggest a gravel bike they're kind of the do it all bike and some lads can go quite fast on them also.

They make for good commuter bikes and you can easily add bags to make it a touring/adventure bike.

I wouldn't recommend gatorskins to anyone they're an awful tyre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Where in Dublin are you based, better to recommend a shop close to you as you will probably need to go back at some point and there are plenty of decent ones around.

Also, +1 on the no to gatorskins, if you are willing to pay, get better tyres, what are your requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Thank you both, I was not aware Gatorskins weren't considered good, I've never had a puncture with them in 5 years, but that must be survivorship biased!

I live in Dublin City Centre so the bike won't be for commuting mostly, more for trying to do some fast cycles with some longer distance cycling a couple of times a year.

I've only had drop-bar bikes for the last 10 years; I had a Fuji and my current bike is secondhand custom winter trainer.

So as long as it's the best bang for my buck that can have Mudguards and a back rack, I'm good to go.

Also I'm 5'9 so I imagine I need a medium frame.

Thank you all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's not that they are terrible puncture resistance wise (although not the best), for me it would be the grip more than anything, once I got better tyres I appreciated how important it was. If you have money to spend, I'd go for GP5000s for the few times a year you will use them, faster and better grip although not sure how puncture protection compares.

As for sizing, depends on the brand, but you'd be better getting up on one in a bike shop rather than trusting the measurement guides, 5'9 could be anywhere between 52cm and 56cm depending on brand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'what bike should i buy' is a very open ended question - but you're probably looking at a touring style one if going for mudguards and a rack.

maybe something like this, albeit with fewer racks?

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/bikepacking-and-touring-bikes/520/520-disc/p/24000/?colorCode=red

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not a brand that gets much mention here but I got a Boardman ADV 8.9 (their budget gravel) from Halfords earlier this year and would heartily recommend it. I think it's €1400 or so. Very comfortable ride. Have done a few greenway rides with no problems but I'm taking it from Roscoff to Carnac next week so fingers crossed my opinion won't change.

Advertisement