Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of removing individual paving slabs for planting

Options
  • 12-06-2023 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi I'm just looking for some advice please.

There's paving in front of my house, sandstone I think. It was put down before i lived here. Anyone know how easy it would be to remove a few different individual slabs to plant some climbers against the walls?

Does it just depend on what is underneath it or are there other factors I should consider?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Depends if they are on concrete or sand.

Sand, just lift them up.

Concrete, big whack of a hammer and smash it up

edit: typo or-> of

Post edited by Explosive_Cornflake on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep just depends on what's underneath, which could be not only the concrete (i assume) the sandstone was laid in, but also whether there was an original concrete footpath laid around the house, which would be far more difficult to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

Thanks for the replies.

If there is any concrete underneath, presumably if I smashed through that I'd likely crack or damage it under the surrounding slabs too.

Maybe best to leave as is for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

If you think it's concrete and you don't want a load of work, just get or make some pots.

If it was sand, you'll probably upset the neighboring slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There have been a few discussions on the difficulties of growing climbers in pots, it is not usually successful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it might not be too difficult to lift one to see what's underneath; not so easy to put it back probably if you decide to not proceed.

Advertisement