Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Controller Issue

Options
  • 12-06-2023 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if posted before.

My son is having an issue with his switch controller recently.

Has anybody had a joy-con issue where the joy-con itself works completely fine on the home screen, on the eshop, etc. but doesn't work at all when trying to play any game.....

As I mentioned, works completely fine when on the Switch home screen or while browsing the Nintendo eshop/settijgs etc. As soon as I enter a game, (FIFA) however, it stops working. This is only happening with my left joy-con .

If i disconnect it a small bit away from the base it works perfect. When i reconnect A little shadow pops up on the left hand side of the screen and goes of after a second or two..

I've tried all the basic potential solutions: powered the console on/off, unpaired/paired the controller, calibrated the stick, and so on. Nothing has worked so far. Any suggestions? Has this happened anyone ?

Any help great appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Nintendo do free repairs of joycons now in the EU AFAIK ( as they are not very robust ) so you could send it in for a repair / replacement.

But maybe borrow a friends joycon set to make sure it is a joycon and not a switch problem first.

Does the controller work consistently wirelessly? I had something that sounds a little similar and it was the connector at the bottom of the joy-con (where the metal connections are that slot into the console. It was losing contact with the console intermittently on one joy-con.

With my thumb I applied firm but gentle pressure to push the end of the rail towards the body of the joy-con. For example, if it's a left joy-con and you are holding it as a single controller horizontally, just to the right of the SR button where there are three arrow indicators embossed on the rail.

Seems to have done the trick for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Hi there - not to hi-jack the thread, but also not wanting to necessarily start a new thread. No wireless controllers will work on my sons switch. The joy con controllers work an d as such it isnt impacting him, however we have been working through a few games(Star Wars / Jurarasic World) and the joy cons are too small and fiddly for me ! I have done everything suggested that I can find - I even bought a new controller with no joy. The witch is not recognising the controllers from the usb or wirelessly(bluetooth) I have done everything apart from a factory reset(which I am loath to do as I dont want to f**k up any of his games) Anyone had such an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

The switch does not support every/all bluetooth controllers, you will need an adapter of some sort to get an existing controller to work like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wireless-Raspberry-Controller-Nintendo/dp/B01NCLG45T/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAYFLASH-Magic-NS-Wireless-Controller-Compatible/dp/B079B5KHWQ

Or you will need to buy a supported controller (like the Nintendo Pro Controller or an 8bitdo controller)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Thanks Irish Halo, I should have mentioned that the controllers were working and have now stopped however I will have a look at the above and see if system updates meant that the cheap and cheerful controllers no longer working. Thanks for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

UPS picked up my joy-cons with stick drift today - they are out of warranty but it’s stick drift so it’s a free repair - any idea how long it will take before I get them back? Thanks

Advertisement