Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The installation company should really give you both codes.

Options
  • 12-06-2023 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

"Can I share Engineering/User Codes or Request an Engineering/User Codes?

No. We've taken the position to ban requesting and sharing engineering codes for alarm systems. If you want the engineering/user code for a company please contact them yourself. We do not want boards.ie to be a conduit to obtain engineering or user codes. This is our position on same and will remain so until instructed to alter it. We are not influenced by what goes on elsewhere or what has gone on in the past. We don't hold an opinion on the ownership of these codes so we have no need to debate it. This is a simple position we have taken to isolate boards.ie from such requests please respect it."

I am not countenancing the sharing of codes, however, I would be of the belief that the installation company should supply the Customer with both codes, they are paying for the system and installation and I believe it is both unethical and anti-competitive to restrict the Customer to one maintenance company, considering these alarms must have a regular service contract for compliance with home insurance requirements (i.e en norms)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Are you aware of the following?

1. Alarm companies do not have " User Codes" for clients Systems.

2. The the Engineer Code in a particular system is there to protect the integrity of the system programming of that particular system, as performed by the Installation company at the time of the original installation.

3. Engineer codes are the same for all of the respective companies Systems.

4. A reputatable company would have no issues in taking over the servicing of a competitors already installed system in a premises. As there are ways in the industry of getting or indeed getting around Engineer codes.

I hope this helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is an absolute disgrace that if I buy a product, I don’t have the full ability to maintain and repair that product myself. Frankly this nonsense with engineer codes should be banned under right to repair laws.

Imagine for a moment if your car had an engineer code which meant only authorised dealers could repair your car or even change the tires! Ridiculous carry on.

This is why these days I recommend to people to bypass installers completely and just go the DIY route, very easy to do with modern wireless system and it leaves you in full control to maintain and expand the system yourself.

If you do want to go with the installer, then when getting quotes, I recommend requiring the engineer code up front. They can easily set a different engineering code to the company one up front while installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

100% agree, its just another anti completive load of waffle, protect the integrity of the system programming if I tip through the program and mess it it up its on me nobody else I either have to pay or figure it out. When I change the brake pads in my car if I mess it up its on me not on the dealer who sold me the car.

Codes should be part of the purchase or as bk says an option for a personal access code should be given, having to call around some to change a simple battery is nonsense, if your not comfortable doing this work then leave as is and call a tech but the option should be there to self service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

You are solely looking at this from a householders perspective, would you be impressed if you were a business owner and if there was no such a thing as an engineer code and some crooked member of staff, or indeed a visitor had gone to the system keypad and had reprogrammed the system so that they could return that night and break in and not be detected by the system ?

With Intruder systems, you are not solely buying a product, you are also obtaining a service with it.

If a customer wanted an Engineer code for their system, then I would give them a unique one for their own system and get them to sign a disclaimer that we are no longer responsible for that system and indeed the programming of same.

If a customer does not want the programming as done by a professional with generations of experience then that is their own business.

I trust you are aware that Alarm systems are there for Security as opposed to ornamental or any other reason ? Your comparison to car tyres is absolutely ridiculous.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Totally agree with Kubs points here.

On top of that I don't get why end users are obsessed with this on security systems yet have no issue with every other household product or mobile phone etc. Most devices now have various higher lever acces codes engineer codes manufactures and more. If every end user was give full access to every feature on every device carnage would ensue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement