Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon

Options
  • 11-06-2023 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Goin with the wife to Lisbon for a weekend in august. Anyone been. Any good? What to do?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is all from pre-COVID:

Avoid the peak tourist areas, they're full of pickpockets (to a higher extent than other places). This includes the hill tram trip unfortunately.

People will approach you selling "sunglasses" all the time. They are drug dealers. They will still approach you if you have sunglasses on!

If you want to go on an old tram, they sub in at quieter times on Line 15. If you want to go on one of the hill "funiculars", the Biba one is probably quietest.

If you don't want to climb up the Barrio Alto, you can enter Baixa-Chiado metro station at the lower level and use the escalators up to its entrance a good way up the Barrio Alto. You don't need to tag in to do this.

Go out to Belem for the tarts, ignore my thing about peak tourist areas for that - its safer. The old botanical gardens are out there and are about €2 in, semi ruined but interesting

I quite liked this pub/brewery in a tunnel in to a hill.

The Time Out market is a decent place to find a mix of food/drink, its not as touristy as it seems. Can be hard to get a seat sometimes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lots of fake drug dealers around. Just ignore.

Bring sensible shoes. It's a hilly and cobble stone street type of city. Not suitable for high heels! There is a great metro system, but you will still be walking a lot. Up and down hills.

There can be a cold wind in the evening, not sure about August.

It's a brilliant city. People are friendly. I hope you both love it just as much as I did. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There is a beach nearby... Caiscais? I hadn't been. I think you can get the bus?

Also, another nearby place where I think there is a castle, and they make those lovely custard tarts, Belem or something like that? Again, I didn't get to visit.

The aquarium is worth taking a metro ride to see.

There are these "lookouts" where you can get an amazing view over the city and ocean. The castle is one of these. Definitely worth visiting the castle. And the big elevator/lift, if you're not afraid of heights!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Cascais is a nice place.

You can go by train.

Also Estoril is a stop on the same line worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Go to cais de sodre and take the train to cascais.

The aquarium is worth doing.

Belem for the pasteis de Belem, the tower on the sea front, st Jerome's cathedral.

Go up to the Castillo st Jorge.

In the evening you could go to the fado-Traditional singing and a meal.

Tell the wife to leave the heels at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This ferry trip is a quick and cheap way to get a look at the city from the water.

There are tour boats also if time and budget allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Spent a very chilled out Sunday, after spending too much time in the Bairro Alto the night before lol, just wandering around the Graça neighborhood.

Just has a very chilled out vibe with great architecture and views over the city. The chapel and convent are also worth a visit.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Thanks all great info.

Feeling much better about it now as happened to bump into an old friend who told me he was there for stag party and said it was ****.... but i am assuming thats because it was a stag and not a couples break.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

Oh Lisbon is lovely, don’t listen to your pal. I never expected it to be so hilly so just be prepared. Other than what’s all ready discussed above I need to recommend a restaurant called ‘MiniBar’. It’s a speakeasy and they do a tasting menu. At the time I’d never done one before and it was beautiful and plentiful. Reasonably priced food and drink. Hope you have a lovely time

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The constant offering of drugs is really tiresome....we walked to dinner one night and we counted, offered 8 times on the way there alone.

But Lisbon is a beautiful spot.

I recommend a trip out to Sintra. 

The hills are a bit of a nightmare I would recommend a tuk tuk expensive enough but worth it to see lot of main things.

Bolt is also cheap if you need a cab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

Not sure how to attach links, but I posted in the main travel forum when we went earlier this year. There’s some great tips in there if you can navigate to it. Great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Been visiting Lisbon for over 20 years. It's a great city but it's worth getting outside .

Advertisement