Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Stainless Steel Pot Compatible with Induction Hobs?

Options
  • 11-06-2023 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭

I am switching from a gas hob to an induction hob.

I am trying to figure out which cooking pots and pans to bin and which will continue to work with an induction hob.

I have a stainless steel Pro Chef pot with the attached symbols on the bottom. Not on the symbols are the normal induction symbol.

Does anyone know if a Pro Chef pot with the attached symbols is compatible with induction hobs?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Think some of my pots are stainless steel , test with a magnet to see?

dam as i have use aluminium pots on mine

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=stainless+steel+pots+on+induction+hob&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_QLuFZKvKHIiJgQaj7ajQCA_40

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

only if the SS has a magnetic component, a lot of SS does not, so test it with a magnet.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭blackbox

That one doesn't have the symbol for induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Pots designed for use on induction hobs, including those with a stainless steel body, usually have a separate ferromagnetic steel base attached to the bottom. The only exception would be cast iron pots, for example, Le Creuset type ones, which work fine as is. The stainless steel used in the body of the pans is sometimes very slightly ferromagnetic but not enough to generate any significant heat.

Easiest way is to just try and stick a magnet to the base .. if it sticks it's OK, if not then it means a new pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thanks guys.

I did not know about the magnet test.

I have just tested with a magnet and it sticks to the pot so I guess that means that it is compatible with an induction hob.

Thanks - you have saved me from binning a pot! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's great news, but it's strange that there's no induction symbol on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It may not be as efficient asa custom induction.

In passing, donate the pots you can't use to VDP or NCBI or similar :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Agree never dump as somebody would be glad of working stuff.

Reuse , rehome etc

Advertisement