Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchen's Books

Options
  • 11-06-2023 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I went into town last week to buy a video game in the closing down sale of Gamestop but, before I went to gamestop. When I got off at the bus stop and crossed the road I decided to go into Eason's. I had a gander at the magazines picked a PC magazine then, I thought about looking for a book I always would like to read called "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins I found it for 15 euro but, I hadnt really enough on me to buy it. Then I thought about Christopher Hitchen's but, I didnt know what his books are called. I asked at the counter but, they didn't have any of his books. LOL I thought maybe some could be banned for hitchen's not liking parts of religion. So anyway, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what his books are called and how many there is and which of them is his best ? On the way home I thought sure feck it, I could just go into me local library to get the "God Delusion" book. I did and yer man behind the counter said "We actually had a few of his books but, people rented them out and never returned them" lol I'll have to get the book from another library in the country and get it sent to this library. Should take about a week"

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thankfully the days of books being banned in this country are well behind us.

Dawkins books often turn up in second hand book stores or charity shops.

Hitchens' memoir Hitch-22 published in 2010 might be a good place to start.

I've read The Missionary Position and No One Left to Lie To.

He certainly doesn't hold back in his criticism of those he disagrees with.

God Is Not Great is another of his I'd like to read.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭STEE

Thanks for telling me about Christopher Hitchen's books. When you said "Thankfully the days of books being banned in this country are well behind us." I't made me think about a book I heard of that was banned in Ireland and I honestly do not know why given what the book is about. I actually made a post about here on the forums but, no one ever replied. Anyway the book I'm on about is a book called "The Black Hole" by Latif Yahia. The body double of Saddam Husseins son Uday Hussein. I watched the "Locked up abroad" episode of Latif Yahia on Youtube and I came across another video about the book he wrote, a sequel to the devils double. The video is by Latif himself, he reads the whole book aloud for free. At the start he says the book was banned in the USA and Ireland and tells you where you can buy the book. I always wondered why the book was banned ? He actually lives in Ireland now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Was the book really banned or is that just the authors claim?

A quick Google suggests the latter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I’ve read a fair few of Hitchens and Dawkin’s books. I really like them as they discuss the scientific view of things. As mentioned above, the memoir of Hitchens is good, I really like how he self- improved himself when he was young, with a wide reading range. His book Arguably was also very good. I would read any book of his. I am reading one of Peter Hitchens (brother of Christopher) now, Short Breaks in Mordor.

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins is also good. Really anything by Dawkins.

I would advise you try the library. They are great to find these books if you don’t have the money to buy them. If I remember any more books that I’ve read by these two authors, I’ll post here.

Advertisement