Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deal Breakers...

• 10-06-2023 11:49pm

As someone who has no clue how to navigate and often puts others in relationships before thyself tho I can surprise myself at times....I want to know what are other people's deal breakers...and are you really true to them...regardless of how you feel about the other person or are you inclined to make allowances...but really what are the deal breakers?

(About me saying I have no clue to how to navigate...I do...I underestimate myself alot...I'm not great...I sometimes let things go thinking I understand where the person is coming from underneath and sometimes I'm right and other times I'm wrong)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Melting down the tub of butter into a jug, pooing into the empty tub, then pouring the liquefied butter in covering the turd and chilling it back in the fridge so it re-forms on top so nobody is any the wiser; that's where I draw the line.

At least I will if it happens again.

No personal fantasies please.

I'm looking for people's real life deal breakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People who are not honest ,people who use drugs ,people who are not faithful,people who are racist .people who smoke .people who are not reliable .people who are rude to waiters or retail workers people who constantly use bad language eg I forgot to charge my phone ,my fffing battery is dead f that .

People who have no manners

people who are skangers , eg if you paid 30 euro for a mountain bike it's very likely stolen

People who vape .people with tattoos on their neck arms legs

ignorant people they only read tabloids they will watch every soap opera or awful reality TV shows

People who go to the pub and drink 3 or 4 pints people who use drugs every day

Loud crude obnoxious people with no manners

Of course up you could Google relationship red flags

People who are obsessed with money or buy expensive clothes they can't really afford people who are boring

People who never read books people whose sole topic of conversation is their children

People who have an unhealthy lifestyle

They get no exercise apart from walking to the fridge to get another snack

I heard program on newstalk

A relationship expert said there's 3 important factors in a romantic relationship

1 you must find the other person sexy attractive eg sexual chemistry

If there's no spark there you.ll know it it's either there or not. It cannot be faked

I'm not an expert you should wait til date 4,5 before you have sex if you want a serious relationship

2 You must have the same life goals ambitions roughly eg get a good job education to a certain level buy a house or an apartment at some point

I cannot remember the last one

Goldiggers. Eg male or female

Eg they will only go out with someone who is well off or is on a high salary

People who go to a pub and spend most of the time looking at their phone insta meta tiktok even when they are with friends

I don't want to be sexist i.d avoid a woman

who has 2 or 3 cats or ,dogs pets

Someone basic bland

Whatever your definition of basic is

What music do they like ?

Is it top 20 pop only

Do they read books or listen to radio that is not music

Do they wear only trainers hoodys all the time

Do they have any hobby's apart from TV or videogames

Do they walk run cycle everyday eg get some exercise

This is just my opinion

I think you need to be intellectually compatible eg can the other person talk about a wide range of subjects that might be interesting to you can you talk to them

for a long time without being bored or annoyed

Eg after the initial physical attraction

You need to have some common interests

Eg music books certain TV shows podcasts. Pc games etc

Can they talk about diverse topics

Apart from gossip TV shows social media

Is this person obsessed with sport eg they will watch every soccer gaa rugby match shown on TV

Would this annoy you ?

People who are rude or overly negative

They want to go out every night

Or they only go out once a week

They smoke weed everyday

They are happy to go home and just play videogames or watch TV til then go to bed

They wear they same clothes every day eg no interest in fashion

They spend money as soon as they get it

Why save money. I must have the latest iPhone console tech gadget cool trainers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Great response above heather. None of your fantasies haha classic

Oh yeah great one 👍

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Trust would be my number 1. If you don’t trust your partner, you have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Look at her mother, if she is a milf you know the daughter will age well. Also works for fellas and their dads as well.

Do they treat their family well do they have at least 3 close friends .Of course men may lie about anything in other to get a woman into bed .are their friends ok, or maybe they drink gamble or take drugs to excess have they a good relationship with their family

Are they in a job they hate ,have no interest in ,but they do it to pay the rent

Are they sexist eg they seem nice but they expect to be in charge of where you go eg they don't want an equal partnership the woman is expected to do all the housework cooking etc

Life goals do they want to have kids they want to get promoted in work are they ambitious

A couple need similar life goals

A man who has a serious drug or gambling problem will probably try and hide it

People with mental health issues may not even know it or they'll try and hide it

Do you enjoy their company

Are they constantly looking at their phone

Listen to so you think your an adult podcast on newstalk

There's always issues like

I like my boyfriend but insert red flag here

It's easy to be nice on a date for a few hours and put up a false front

If you spend 24 hours with someone you ll discover if there's things that annoy you

Eg they spend hours every day on social media playing videogames watching sport

on TV they smoke too much

They drink a few cans of beer every night at home

Google dating advice podcasts

Relationship podcasts

Dating history eg Joe bloggs had ten girlfriends eg he breaks up after 1 to 3 months every time he's in a relationship

He can't keep a serious relationship going due to various issues

Are you a non smoker you probably don't want to live with someone who smokes 20 fags a day

Does this person have a healthy lifestyle

Do they work 10 hours a day stay late at the office

I think you need to go on 5 dates with someone to even know is there potential issues

No 1 issue is trust can you trust this person to respect you treat you as an equal be faithful to you

Some men want a girlfriend just to cook have sex share the rent as a status symbol

Does this person have a sense of humour

Someone could do another long post on women

Eg what's a red flag for a man who wants to meet a nice girlfriend

I don't think it's a good idea to go out with anyone who is more than 10 years older than you

Gen z should not be dating a millennial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Riclad reading all your deal breakers makes having a relationship seem like it needs the good Friday agreement drawn up for it.

• Advertisement

Safe to say if those long lists of deal breakers posted above were put on a dating site by 1 person as deal breakers, the responses would be ‘slow’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I realise if you took all those deal breakers seriously then it would exclude a large part of the male population

eg dating is not easy

Think do you want an alpha male to take care of you

or an easy going man who is more aware of equal right s and is not afraid of a strong intelligent woman

I presume slow is gen z slang

Then I guess ‘slow’ is a polite way of saying if you posted all those deal breakers of yours on a dating website , you wouldn’t have any responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Reading all the above, with it not mentioned, I take it that commando in a summer dress with my balls visible below the hem, would be ok.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Vaping, very overweight, long term unemployed, constant foul language, drinks too much, uses drugs regularly, believes in conspiracy theories, serial complainer, attempts to change me, never says thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Someone with no ears , they won’t be able to wear glasses and will become more dependent on you as they age , unless they wear contact lens .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yet another dating thread. Can we not just make the Online Dating thread a generic AH dating megathread and keep all of these together? It's the same people posting on them all anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Forgot to quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No sense of humour, addiction of any sort, poor personal hygiene, boring, very overweight, rude, a bum or overly ambitious - you should work to live, not the other way around.

Anything else you can work with if there's a spark and sexual compatibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If it turns out they’re a fella.

Anything else isn’t a dealbreaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I don't think that list would fit on a single profile. 😄

Ok now I understand if you put these deakbreakers on a dating profile you would not get a positive response from potential dates eg the responses would be slow i.m older the main way to meet women was at a pub or the local disco ,nightclub eg there was no social media or dating apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Did you bring a long checklist and a clipboard to check suitability before asking women out?

That's skme bloody list, you'd need to be at the door of the pub when it opened to get through it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭blackbox

I can't see anything on the list I'd disagree with.

Better off alone than with someone you don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭eggy81

Would you have drank less than 3 or 4 pints while charming these potential partners?

You know those pubs you go into and there’s always an oul bachelor lad there on his own sipping away at a pint. Knows everyone else’s business. Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

You can drink 1, 2 or 5, 6, 7 pints. Those 3 and 4 pint drinkers are unsuitable tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I have generally found that those with really long lists of dealbreakers and 'requirements' for potential partners tend to be long term singles and it isn't due to not being able to find someone to fit their lists. They tend to vastly overestimate their own level of desirability and can't even see their own flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I remember someone started a thread years ago and one of the surprising things that got agreement was multiple photo's in rugby jerseys watching games.

The rational was that the people who are into rugby tend to have loads of friends who are into it. Every week if there's a match, they go to the pub and spend the whole day there. And if you're into it, that's great fun but if you're a non rugby fan, going to the pub every weekend to spend a whole day with your partners friends as they get drunk watching a match, isn't a lot of fun.

Everyone was in agreement that the person could be absolutely lovely, being into rugby isn't a character flaw, it's just that they didn't want to get into a relationship where they had to watch it.

Advertisement