Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can’t view old messages

Options
  • 10-06-2023 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Haven’t been active on here in a long time but recently logged back in to check an old message but it says I have no messages at all. Anyone able to explain why this is. Thanks

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The old PMs were imported across with the platform move. If you choose All Messages, they should be there still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭Tow

They are deleted after the move, as previously deleted emails (from decades ago) suddenly appeared. This was a GDPR breach in itself, more so as the personal data was exported outside the EU.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

@Boards.ie: Mike I know this predates you, but you can confirm which is correct. I still have all my old pre-Vanilla PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Deleted PMs reappeared after the move, they were then deleted again by either Boards or Vanilla. As far as I remember PMs that weren't deleted were still there.

There was uproar at the time because most users assumed deleted PMs were permanently deleted until they assumed zombie mode.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Some of mine pre-migration are there, but I'm sure many are still missing. In fact I can see nearly 6,000 post migration, but only about 3,000 pre-migration, albeit they do go back to a few months after I opened my account

There is no doubt I had a lot more in the 12 years up to migration than the 2+ years since and I never deleted them as I had a very large inbox due to my Admin status

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I seem to recall there was a time- window after the migration to Vanilla in which you could select some (/all?) of your old PMs to be retained. After that window closed, all remaining old PMs disappeared for all users. If you did nothing, all your old PMs went up in smoke by default.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's not how I remember it Esel! I have PMs in my inbox from way before the migration and I didn't do anything.

The thing about deleted PMs coming back was due to a 'paradigm shift' as it were. On vBulletin once you deleted a PM you couldn't see it any more. But that PM still existed on the system if the other party hadn't deleted it. After the Vanilla migration PMs became visible again if the other party to the conversation hadn't deleted them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I checked my all messages and goes back to 2014 which surprised me Cheers.

Advertisement