Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling through M50 junction at finglas/N2

Options
  • 09-06-2023 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

Going from Ashbourne to Dublin, about to try commuting on an ebike. The M50 junction at finglas looks complicated just getting my ducks in a row1

Inbound:

Do you take the old N2 all the way in and take that pedestrian bridge which brings you out under the m50 bridge

OR Do you go on to the new N2 at the dogs trust and youre coming in on the hard shoulder of that 3 lane highway for that home stretch? That looks dangerous to me with a lot of large heavy traffic and would have to merge at the M50.

Outbound:

Do you take the hard shoulder up to the dogs trust turn to old N2, this doesnt seem to be as bad on the way out as youre not merging but would rather someone could vouch for that

OR do you cross over at charlestown to take the cycle lane and go over that pedestrian bridge.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Inbound:

Go all the way down the old N2 past The dogs trust and you will get to the footbridge that goes over the M50 and leaves you out ontp the Finglas Rd.

Take that way ,in reverse , obviously, to get back on to the old N2.

In no world would I EVER take that dual carriageway up to the slip road for Dogs Trust. You will end up a statistic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I take the pedestrian/cycle bridge in both cases, crossing over onto the cycle track as if taking a right into Charlestown when going outbound. Inbound you can't turn left at Dogs Trust as it's one way coming off the N2 and there's no safe way to get across even using the hard shoulder.

If you want to avoid the junction all together you can turn left at TJ O'Mahony's (Kilshane cross) and go via Meakstown, rejoining the N2 at Lidl: https://goo.gl/maps/HFhatUPdb798Nz1z8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

No reason to do anything more complicated than what Google Maps tells you — take the old N2 (now R135), take the cycling overpass as it's designed for exactly this, and then follow the two-way cycle path along the inbound side of the new N2 until the Charlemont SC junction.

Going out of the city, it's the exact same process, you'll have to cross over from the outbound-side to the inbound-side at the Charlemont SC junction, and follow the two-way cycle path north back to the overpass.

Outside of the M50, the N2 is basically designed like a motorway, so you'd have to be absolutely insane to use it rather than this much quieter, safer route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I normally go out that way and back via another if im going to north dublin, and I usually always go the following route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Thanks for all comments. Much appreciated. I thought the kilshane turnoff to lidl route was much further than what it actually is now that I see it on the map.

Some good info lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭munsterfan2

First time I cycled in to work ( Slane - City Center) I took the N2, as said above - absolutely nuts, you need to cross over 2 or 3 lanes to go straight through to Finglas. Quickly discovered the LIDL route marked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I have gone out the N2 a few times northwards but only when traffic is light.I need to go fast as it dumps you out in the fast lane and you have to cross over.......sometimes I am not in the humour of it and take the overbridge.

Advertisement