Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

29 year old UK import

Options
  • 09-06-2023 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Looking to import a 29 year old mercedes from the UK.

If I register now it's standard VRT, 23%vat then 10%duty. If over 30years €200vrt,no duty and potentially reduced rate vat.

I've read through the threads on VRT late payment charges. Seems I can store and register when it hits 30 years from vrt perspective.

Not sure from the vat and duty perspective.Is vat payable when the car is registered or when it enters the country? Would I be hit for late vat and duty from date of entry?

Plan B is to look at storage in UK or up north.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

From a few threads on this recently, Revenue are looking very closely at 30 year old plus cars to make sure that they are not missing out. Better off parking it up in a UK storage facility until it turns 30. Best of luck with the purchase.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Go for plan B.

"Seems I can store and register when it hits 30 years from vrt perspective." You might be lucky and get away with it but its getting harder and harder to do this. When driving off the boat at Dublin/Cork/Rosslare count the cameras watching you bringing the car into the State! Then of course, the boat ticket. How did you pay for that and what personal details did you need to supply to get the ticket?

Wait until the car is 30 years old and don't chance anything!

What Mercedes is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 existelk

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Looking for an E320 sportline convertible. They don't come up often.

I'll start looking at storage options in UK.

They are thirsty beasts! Make sure the engine harnesses are both done! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Bring in via the North?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

VAT and Duty are payable within 30 days - theres no real leeway on that, and you're best sorting it out as soon as practical. VRT is a different kettle of fish - the maximum penalty is €200 on a vintage car, so you'll have no issue parking the car on your driveway and waiting for it to hit 30 years of age. Also, as I've said many a time, I'm yet to speak to anyone in real life who has ever had a penalty incurred on a late vintage registration.

What does that achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What would happen if you got it shipped over , back of a truck or on a trailer? There'd be a date of when you bought it , but not when you imported it ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

If the car is shipped over, VAT and Duty need to be paid before it enters the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

👍, that answers that then ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

If you have never spoken to anyone in real life who has ever had a penalty incurred on a late vintage registration then you seriously need to get out more

• Advertisement

Actually - scrap that comment. Not particularity interested in engaging with you

Post edited by kdevitt on

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Magown3

Surely they would go by the date of sake on the v5 and calculate everything from that?

As it happens I saw a 94 car in the UK but I'm not willing to chance it. If you know someone in the UK you could transfer ownership to them temporarily while the car is in storage in the UK. Then "sell" it back to you next year when you pick it up from storage and have ferry and flight tickets to support?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Correct. The ANPR cameras in ports are used for this purpose as well as security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

I've a classic car I imported in Jan 22 that I've yet to register & pay vrt on (mainly cos it was off the road all winter)

So while it's a classic versus a vintage, I hope you're right about not being asked for penalty payments ... I'll post here with how I get on fyi

Advertisement