Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 09-06-2023 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just installed a 6 (L) x 2 (W) foot trellis and would like to place a good creeper to cover it over time.

My query is about the type of creeper to add?

What would be the best and fastest growing plant creeper to purchase that would give a nice coverage and maybe some colour over time?

Any advice or suggestions from any experienced or amateur gardener would be appreciate!

🤔

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You need to consider aspect, soil type, wind, sun and shade, strength of the trellis etc.

An evergreen clematis might do. Climbing hydrangea, honeysuckle, rose, ivy, the list is endless.

Once you have the basic facts and know what you expect from the trellis, then you can begin to research what will suit, and people here will be better able to suggest plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would not put a honeysuckle on a trellis, it will pull it down within a couple of years. Climbing hydrangea only needs support for a couple of years, and ivy does not need any at all.

As wildwillow says, the aspect etc have to be considered before recommending anything.

Advertisement