Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr David Augustine Simpson 1819 - 1852

Options
  • 08-06-2023 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I am trying to find some more information on the above person who is buried in Donnybrook Graveyard. The only other clues are his wife was Anna Maria and he was in Wellington Road (Thoms) at the time of his death. I have checked UK records for a marriage and Ancestry in case any family tree includes him but no joy. The Irish times did not start until 1859. I have looked at Freeman's Journal. Can anyone suggest another newspaper that might have including some biographical info on him? The Royal College of Surgeons was checked out also. Simpson seems to be a common name in N Ireland and Scotland.

Post edited by cobham on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Perhaps you've already seen it but there's a marriage record at irishgenealogy.ie of a David Simpson and Anna Maria Walsh in the Pro Cathedral in 1840.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Further to that there's a baptism in St. Mary's Church, Haddington Road on November 26th 1842 [halfway down left-hand page] for David Augustine Simpson which appears to be his being received into the Catholic Church and the witnesses present appear to be Mary Anne Moore, William Walsh and Anna Maria Simpson.

Genealogy Forum Mod

A death notice in the Belfast Newsletter of Sep 17th 1852 states At No. 1 Alpine View, Wellington Road, Dublin, D. Simpson Esq in his 33rd year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

oh well spotted, I forgot about the earlier registration of non RC marriages. I dont think I have ever seen a conversion recorded. So Belfast was a good guess and maybe trained in medicine in Scotland as Queens not up and running. Those records look sound. Many thanks all!

It's a parish marriage record rather than a civil registration - I started with the Irish Genealogy church records because I was expecting it would be a non-Catholic event given his surname.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement