Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency taxed on 5 year scheme lump sum and need a tax code number from the Revenue.

Options
  • 08-06-2023 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My dad was paying into a 5 year scheme. He got a letter and he's being emergency taxed. He should have been paid an amount each year and that way he'd not to have paid any tax as it would be under a thousand Euro. However instead he's getting it all in one lump sum. How would I go about this online? Or is it best to phone the Revenue (not sure what number to use).

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The best thing to do would be to complete the tax return for each year, can do for the years 2019-2022 at present, cannot go further back. This should generate a refund for any years where he may have been overpaying tax.

Moving forward you can allocate tax credits and cutoff towards the scheme via MyAccount on Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. I helped him send an query via Revenue MyAccount (MyGov). I'll see how that goes. Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

He's still gotten no reply. I thought they'd be pretty quick at getting back. In his account, the query status says it's in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Iv seen people wait months for a reply, and ringing will only have someone telling you to go to MyEnquiries

It’s crap but not much can be done about it

What phone numbers are there? I don't see any on the website.

Months? That's just plain awful.

The reply came within a week so that was good. It read something like he can allocate tax bands between that 5 year scheme he was in and his pension. The entry for the scheme is now in the 2023 Tax area on MyGov revenue. I'm not sure if there's any more we need to do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement