Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV remote in another room seem to be able to control my TV

Options
  • 08-06-2023 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭

Are TV remotes meant to operate with just one TV unit or do they automatically work with all units of that brand and model?

Last night the LG TV Netflix app opened on the television in my room interrupting what I was watching on Paramount+ on my AppleTV. Has happened again twice today.

All the TVs in the building are LG 4K and most likely the same model but this is the first time someone else’s remote has done this.

The solution is obvious - I just go into the settings of the TV and take it off the WiFi. I have lost the remote (only use the Siri Remote) but it will be easy for me to borrow a remote to change the settings.

I just wanted to know if the remote would need to be paired and if so why is someone else’s LG remote controlling my TV?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Think most tv remotes are infra-red not rf,therefore line of sight and short range.

I found most sky+ box remotes worked on any box.Friend's sister sent a set of battery operated candles from USA.

They came with a remote that lit them up and at the same time changed the channels on the TV, a matter of freq?

A not very high tech solution a mate of mine used to direct or maybe in your case block the signal from elsewhere, but still see your signal,was to find the receiver spot on the device and shield it with a piece of tin foil.

To conclude,many years ago on a rrip to Canada, I was amazed to see a new fangled and magic device ,a remote,that meant you didnt have to keep getting up to change channels or alter the volume.

Even more amazement followed,when ,after the owners left for work,I boldly opened the remote only to find,no battery and no electronic!

Just two iron bars,.A tuning fork which when hit by a spring sent an ultrasound signal to a microphone in the TV.

You could also change channels if you dropped your keys.

Changed times when the new Samsung TVs can charge the remote battery over WiFi.

Advertisement