Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Maintenance

Options
  • 08-06-2023 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know any companies or people in North Dublin that would cut down and remove some overgrown plants and brambles? Most deal with much bigger houses, not the back garden of a terraced house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is there any possibility you could give it a go yourself. Because I can absolutely promise you that any of the 'gardeners' you set on will just cut stuff down to ground level and make it look pretty, and in twelve months you will be back to square one.

You might find someone to come in with a mini-digger, but chances are you will end up digging up roots yourself anyway.

The brambles are probably the biggest issue - you need to find the root of the plant and dig up the 'lumpy bit' just under the surface. The other roots don't matter too much, but you need to get the node. You will probably have to take off the bulk of the top growth first and the best way is to just cut at it and discard it in a heap, pretty quickly the heap will dry up and get much smaller and can be disposed of - depending on how much, you may need a skip, or you may be able to put it in your brown bin. Some stuff can be composted but briars need to be burned or dumped.

You will need some good leather gauntlet gloves (Screwfix do a good range), a long handle lopper - this https://www.screwfix.ie/p/forge-steel-pruner-shears-loppers-set-3-pcs/298pf would do the job, you don't have to buy top of the range, Lidl and Aldi do them too. And a mattock for grubbing up the roots joints https://www.screwfix.ie/p/roughneck-5lb-mattock-36-/85777 this yoke is brilliant.

So for about €90 and some exercise you can sort it. Yes, easier to get someone to do it but then you have the hassle and expense of trying to find someone to do a decent job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know a chap based in north dublin; he's busy for the next few weeks though, not sure if you want it done soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

Thanks. I have some mobility issues but it's not impossible so I might give it a shot with the tools you mentioned. My plan would be to use pave it over and create a green areas somewhere more suitable and easier to manage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

It can wait. If you can send their details on, it would be good. I might give it a go myself and see so waiting mighn't be an issue.

Fair play! I have some issues though mine are related to my age rather than anything else, but I can still swing a mattock. Getting down to cut the briars would be a bigger problem, which is where the long handle shears come in. Using a mattock is more to do with letting the weight of the head do the work, more a controlled swing/drop than trying to steer it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jonnreeks

Whats the best way to improve a tired looking lawn, mainly the grass looks tired and needs to be softer and thick.....................I know the dry weather doesn't help recently, but any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the best ways i've found to get grass to grow lush has two main requirements. 1; your lawn is not overlooked, and 2; you're a bloke.

peeing on your lawn is a good cheap way to fertilise it. saves water too!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jonnreeks

i am indeed.

It doesn't matter whether it is male or female and it should preferably be diluted 2 or 3:1 and applied with a watering can for better distribution. And not to offend the neighbours.

• Advertisement

it's just a little easier if you're a bloke, that's all.

Not if a watering can is involved!

Advertisement