Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I best deal with these weeds?

Options
  • 08-06-2023 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I have a new bed in which I have planted some Ajuga's for ground cover. The problem is there are lots of weeds starting to sprout as well. I don't want to put a barrier down so that the Ajuga can spread. Can I simply turn over these weeds with a rake? Or will that make things worse? Picking by hand will definitely be time-consuming!

I'm also a beginner at this stuff!

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you have a handheld gas torch? that'd quickly deal with what has germinated, just wave it briefly over them. it has the same drawback as raking would; it won't necessarily kill seeds which are not germinated (but which raking could expose more of for germination)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's the funniest thing - you do something simple and nature rewards you with what it thinks is best - a growth spurt of unwanted green.

You might have had a bed which contained a large amount of dormant seeds which were triggered into action by the light or the heat of the sun. You should probably rake them over somewhat, destroying the roots of these weeds and killing them off, but that's also likely to bring new seeds to the surface and start the cycle off somewhat again. It's probably what I would do anyway or let them grow to about 4cms high and then pull them as a bunch, but what I'd also recommend is that you mulch (using fine bark mulch) around the base of the Ajuga's so that the weeds are kept down and the Ajuga gets better moisture retention in the soil and don't have to complete for all of the nutrients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Use a hoe to dislodge the weeds. They will shrivel up quickly in this heat. I carry a little hoe for a walk most times I walk around the garden and just uproot the weeds as they appear. Once the bed is established the problem lessens considerably. Ajuga is a great ground cover so just be vigilant for a while.

Mulching is also a great idea but wait now till the ground is wet before applying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its simple hoe when you need to hoe when you don't. Ajuga is easy to hoe around as you can push the hoe under the foliage, just don't hoe the main stem off.

Edit> To be clear use a push hoe (dutch hoe) not a bloody useless draw hoe.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭SocialSpud

Thanks folks. Won't the mulch/bark prevent the Ajuga from spreading though? As in it won't be able to root again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It will root.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks. I think I was thinking of a weed barrier, definitely won't root in that case. Mulch it is when things get more wet. I'm here praying for rain after keeping these watered for the past month lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I think we are all praying for rain. Ajuga will root through mulch easily. It is a thug when planted in the wrong place but a good choice for you.

Thanks. I'm a total garden newb, how exactly will mulch prevent weeds? Is it the sheer weight that prevents then from sprouting?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Afaik its the cutting out of light that is the main benefit as far as weeds are concerned, of course it has moisture etc benefit for the plants in the area, but it suppresses weed germination by blocking light.

• Advertisement
Advertisement