Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positioning and wiring for ceiling mounted projector

Options
  • 07-06-2023 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi, we are currently in the middle of a self build and wiring is soon due to start. I am planning wire for a ceiling mounted projector in one of the rooms (bit of a general purpose room - playroom, second sitting room etc). I have discussed with the electrician and its no problem so I will be adding a double socket in the ceiling and running a long HDMI cable above the hanging ceiling and down to the front of the room for connecting to what ever device I am playing content from.

Some advise on positioning the projector would be appreciated as I don't have one in mind, it could be years before I actually get one so I am unsure how far back from the wall I am to use for watching to run the hdmi and leave the socket - I can leave some slack on the hdmi (or have it running to a hdmi socket and run a seperate cable to the projector) and the power socket doesn't need to be right over the projector but I would like it close so is there any rule of thumb etc? Also would any other connections be recommended to the ceiling that I am not thinking of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

I installed one on the ceiling.

I ran 1 HDMI and a CAT6 to mine. I also left a shotgun Co-Ax above the plasterboard in the ceiling in the same location as a just in case at the time, but theres no need for that now with the way technology is gone.

Only thing I feel im short is an optical cable from the projector location to the wall by the couch for a surround sound system but theres ways around that too.

My socket is 3m back from the Projected wall. I think look at most brands and take an average. Its based on the size of the screen you are projecting on to so work back from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd suggest that you run the cables in trunking and also install a fish (strong nylon string) looped at each end and also consider installing a CAT6. That way if you ever replace the projector with a combination of a mini-PC and projector, you'll be able to avoid using the WiFi for streaming.

Advertisement