Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What plants should I get for here

Options
  • 07-06-2023 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm replacing this japenese holly plant/ilex crenata which never took in this area. Tried everything to get it right but after 4 years it still must miserable.

There is plenty of drainage. No problem there.

Any ideas or suggestions. Was hoping for a box hedge type look.. that's probably what I should have gone for originally but was advised to try the ilex crenata as an alternative as buxus was prone to blight??

I'd also consider any low grasses maybe?

Would only want height of about 1- 1.5 feet?

We are detached bungalow. Plants would have sun all day until late afternoon.

I've about 30 metres of this

Thanks all

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

First, try to figure out why those plants aren’t thriving. We have had some very dry summers and unless they were watered and mulched, young plants would have been under stress, even with an irrigation system. Sometimes the nutrients can be leeched from the soil in a raised bed so mulching helps having to overwater.

Is it very windy, the wrong soil ph, poor soil? Need to erect a wind barrier? No point replanting until you know these answers.

Do a search for box hedge alternatives. The choice is actually good. The eventual height must be considered as lots are much taller than your requirements . I love osmanthus, particularly burkwoodii, as the scent is wonderful but it will grow too tall.

Osmanthus delavayi would be a good choice.

Munstead lavender could be a good choice. Easily grown from seed and regenerates very well but not necessarily evergreen.

I would suggest using a few different plant types and keep them more informal than well clipped. Looks more interesting and you are not relying on one variety. That way you could keep some of the existing plants.

Your lawn looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭springer111

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm not sure how to come to a conclusion as to why it didn't thrive. We have tried lots of different feeds, plenty of watering. Had it on a drip hose....

As for the soil... how would I figure that out. I did add plenty of bags of nutrient rich topsoil. I'm afraid to replant alright with out knowing. I could one section though and see....?

Thanks, the lawn is thanks to out automower 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am not an expert on Ilex Crenata, but a bit of research shows:

They prefer acid soil. What soil are they in? What water supply do you have? If they are in lime soil and being watered with hard water they will be struggling. They also appear to be in a concrete trough which would make the soil limey.

The dark green Crenata is very slow growing, only max of 20cm a year, so don't expect too much. However if they are dark green and have gone yellow from the lime content of the soil then growth will be minimal. If they are the yellow variety (which seems more likely) then growth may be even slower, my experience with other plants is that the varieties of any plant are not usually as robust as the original.

Assuming you can revive them, they should have been clipped to shape by now if you want a formal hedge.

Thanks looksee. Yes I read about that too. And spend months feeding them with special feed for acidic soil loving plants. But it made no difference

No they are meant to be the dark ggreen variety.....

I suppose I was afraid to clip them when they were struggling so much..

• Advertisement

What you could try is:

Working a bit at a time and waiting till autumn to do it, remove a few plants, wash the roots clean of soil, remove soil from trough, line sides (not bottom) with some sort of impermeable membrane - strong black plastic for example - fill with ericaceous compost, replant, water with rain water.

This will be expensive and tedious. Or you could put in plants that will accommodate lime soil better. Lavender (English) would be a good option.

I wrote the above reply as you were replying. If they are the dark green one then definitely the soil is the problem, the yellow is very typical of acid loving plants in lime soil, just feeding never seems to work. Suggest you replace them, it is very difficult to get plants that have been affected for that long to revive.

The sides were lined with plastic (not the bottom) before I put the soil but it might have dropped a bit

Thats the thing, the root balls are no bigger than a small orange. Even after 4 years. They can be pulled out with very little effort. It's like they never rooted properly at all...

Ya thats probably for the best. I've given them the best chance I can.

I guess something that doesn't mind acidic soil should be on top of my list of possible replacements..

Yes, they are not thriving and I think it is down to the soil. You see the same problem with camelias and azaleas - been there, done that, messed about with compost and sequestered iron. Put in something that will be happier, I think lavender could be lovely there.

• Advertisement

Presumably a typo, but you need something that will be happy in lime soil (high ph). Way more options than for acid soil.

These might be a nice option and can be kept trimmed as small as you want. https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/dwarf-barberry.html

Oh ya sorry. The opposite 😆. Or I'll be having the same problem again 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, great advice here Looksee.

I think lavender would also be excellent, just remember to clip it back in Winter as it really helps the subsequent year's growth.

Also don't over-water the plants either - that's very damaging to them too as the nutrients get stripped away. Very easy to do in a trough with a dripper.

Thanks so much

I had never thought of lavender. It does sound lovely. Thinking I might try a section of it to see how it goes. Is now a good time to plant. What size plants should I get?

Thank you

Planting anything in a very dry spell is never a great idea, but you can plant most things whenever you wish from pots whenever there is some rain.

Read up on lavenders, there are slight variations in them, suggest the English lavender would suit there better, and they do need cutting back (check it up, its a bit specific) at the end of the season or you will end up with straggly, woody plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

Don't know what your plans for the existing plants are but don't dump them anyway, local gardening fb pages if you have them and someone will take them off your hands.

I love Lonicera for a box substitute but I don't know if you could keep it that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Do a ph test but I do think you have lime soil.

I grow lots of Munstead lavender in alkaline soil. You can cut it back drastically in comparison to French lavender. It self seeds everywhere here, even on a gravel path so I always have little plants for replacements or more often, to give to other gardeners. It will do well in the drier conditions too. But it’s not really fully evergreen.

Other English varieties are good too.

But I would go for a mix of plants. At least try a few before you replant the entire length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭notAMember

The roots of those plants are exposed, and they are not mulched. This could be a reason they are suffering.

In a bed like that, you have the ability to control the soil/compost. Add the right compost on top, and mulch.

Advertisement