Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate grants

Options
  • 07-06-2023 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Help I have a place on a masters degree I earned €5000 working in 2022 mums income is 23000 we're a single parent family so just over the threshold but my gran died and mum received an inheritance not much got her a car for work and paid off bills ect as we've always struggled but now it means I'll be totally over the threshold for a grant this year maybe get 4000 off tuition but the main problem was always going to be maintenance grant as the course is down the country only one college in Ireland runs this course I considered withdrawing but but with the cost of living I can't expect mum to support me on her wage but if I take another year off and work we would be over the limit again and I wouldn't have much of a chance at saving as mum's rent is based on my income if I'm living there so I would have to pay my share as she's struggling as it is anyone know of any help available looked and most bursaries ect are for under graduate or research masters not a taught master's mum wants to sell her car to pay my rent for the year but grans wish was she had a half decent car to get her around it's not new by any means but decent enough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Take it it's the special rate you need, my son will be in same boat soon, he has just finished his 4 years degree but now would like to do a master, but take a year out and get a job first.

But when it comes to apply his wages and my wages will push us over the limit for grant for next year, I feel your pain, it's hard to know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 drummyel

Yep we would need the special rate wouldn't be so bad if she could do it in Dublin as she could travel but only one college in Ireland does this particular masters your damned if you don't and damed if you do. Worse I got a small inheritance from my mum the will be counted was just enough to get a better car as in a 141 so still old and pay off some bills and going through the application that is going to push us right over the edge if push comes to shove ill sell the car for her accommodation even though they can clearly see we've been on long term social welfare besides being a single parent I cared for my mum up till her death in 2020 and started back full-time after her passing but after 14years of only being allowed work 18hrs a week because of caring I only wokrd 10. I feel this should be taken into account for anyone including college students trying to work part-time as susi doesn't really cover accommodation and food for her 4 years in college she only got the maintenance grant for 3 as she studied in the North so has a student loan of £12000 sterling to pay back once she gets a good job but they don't even ask about what debt you may have she really doesn't want to get into more debt by taking a loan and as I'm a single parent with really no extra income and still have a child at home 15yrs old the bank wouldn't even consider me as a guarantor. The rates for susi are shocking as its either 25 or 55,000 and nothing in between plenty would be struggling on 30/35,000 also if your son does a research masters he may get funding but not if its a taught master's as we've looked into everything that maybe possible no wonder many don't go further and get their masters

Advertisement