Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant d-fuse slipping

Options
  • 06-06-2023 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have any experience in remedying a slipping d-fuse seat post? I have a toughroad with the inserted seat post holder. It was creaking like mad so I removed everything and cleaned and re greased. The creaking went but post is slipping1-2cm per 40kms. It had been slipping a bit prior to re greasing.

Should I clean the post down again and apply carbon assembly paste to it? The frame and post are alloy so unsure if this will work. I have tried another d fuse seat post which I have from another bike and the problem persists. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

When you say grease, was it some kind of assembly grease you applied? If it is then take that off for a start. Carbon paste will do no harm to try, it's just a gritty paste designed to add friction to smooth surfaces.

Post edited by iwillhtfu on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Is it a bolt or quick release lever you use to tighten the seat post?

If it's a bolt then what torque are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

It’s a bolt and whilst I don’t have a torque wrench it’s definitely not under tightened

Yes, assembly grease reapplied. I’ll get the carbon grease tomorrow and see does it help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

I have an Escape 0 with a composite D-Fuse and alu frame.

It slipped a few times so I tightened it progressively until it didn’t slip anymore.

It has been fine now for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Might be worth borrowing a torque wrench to see what it's currently tightened to so you have an idea what is slipping at? Then you know if it can be tightened more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

I’ll add that I have never had problems with a seatpost slipping before so if I bothered to google it I’m sure I’d find it’s a common experience with this system. The seatpost height was set by the bike shop for me when I picked up the bike new. I did have to tighten it significantly more than I am used to doing on steel frame bikes of which I have a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭cletus

It's the internal wedge that the op has, I think. Make sure that the wedge is fully seated before tightening.

*Edit* Also, for the creak, make sure you take the wedge itself apart and grease each of the faces.

Yes, it’s the wedge. The creak is no longer an issue. Hopefully the carbon paste can halt the slippage. I’ve also heard that giant have discontinued this wedge system across other models.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Full-time bike mechanic here; working for a Giant dealer.

Don't use grease.

Giant supply a sachet with each D-fuse equipped bike, containing their own proprietary carbon assembly paste; this must be used and the correct torque must always be applied to the wedge, USING A TORQUE WRENCH!

''Ah its grand, the Allen key left a mark on the palm of my hand'' or ''I'll just tighten it fully, then give it another half turn until my knuckles turn white'' are not the correct torque settings :-)

6Nm is the correct max torque, using the aforementioned paste - I tighten to 5Nm.

Haven't had a customer come back with issues. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭cletus

8-valve, is that for carbon or alloy seat posts, or both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Haven't had a customer come back ever......

Apart from all the cracked frames?!

all variations, alloy or carbon seatpost, aluminium or carbon frames.

contrary to what De La Soul sang to us back in the 90s, 5 (Nm) is my magic number!

I've seen two giant carbon frames (both TCRs) broken in my time in the shop. We've literally sold dozens. I've witnessed none due to manufacturing defects.

One was rear ended by a car which shattered the r/h rear stay.

The other was split by the owner overtightening his seatpost wedge until a hairline crack started at the narrow 'peak' of where the wedge sits into the frame and proceeded to migrate along the centreline of the top surface of the top tube.......he overtightened it as he didn't own a torque wrench.

Have never seen aluminium frame failure on a Giant.

Advertisement